Division of Physical Therapy Education
University of Nebraska Medical Center
984420 Nebraska Medical Center
Omaha, NE 68198-4420
- 2012-present Assistant Professor and Coordinator, SSUHSI MS-DPT Program, Physical Therapy Education, School of Allied Health Professions, UNMC
- 2009-2012 Assistant Professor, Department of Environmental, Agricultural, and Occupational Health, UNMC
- 2009-present Adjunct Assistant Professor, School of Health, Physical Education and Recreation, UNO
- 2009-present Adjunct Assistant Professor, Department of Surgery, UNMC
- 2009-present Faculty Member, Center for Advanced Surgical Technology, UNMC
- 2007-2009 Instructor, School of Health, Physical Education and Recreation, UNO
- 2005-2006 Graduate Research Fellows, Institute of Neuroscience, University of Oregon
- 2003-2005 Instructor, Department of Human Physiology, University of Oregon
- 1999-2001 Physical Therapist, Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, Kaohsiung Municipal Hsiao-Kang Hospital, Taiwan
Primary Teaching Responsibilities
- PHYT 726, Instructional Development in Health Professions
- PHYT 740, Critical Inquiry II (course coordinator)
- Post-Doc Biomechanics, UNO, 2006-2009
- PhD Human Physiology, University of Oregon, 2006
- BS Physical Therapy, Kaohsiung Medical University, Taiwan, 1999
Research Interest & Projects
My primary research area is in both motor control and biomechanics, focusing on elderly population and minorities. It includes fall prevention in aging, rehabilitation, and intervention. I am interested in studying the mechanism of human balance control, locomotion and developed training program for community-dwelling older adults, and currently extending this research in minority populations. My second research area is focusing on motor learning in human performance. It includes skill acquisition, medical education, simulation technology and telemedicine.
- Hawkes TD, Siu KC, Silsupadol P, Woollacott MH: Why do Older Adults Fall when Walking and Performing a Secondary Task? Examination of Attentional Switching Abilities. Gait and Posture 2012; 35: 159-163.
- Huang CK, Suh IH, Chien JH, Vallabhajosula S, Oleynikov D, Siu KC: Investigating the Muscle Activities of Performing Surgical Training Tasks Using Simulator. Studies in Health Technology and Informatics 2012; 173: 200-4.
- Mukherjee M, Siu KC, Katsavelis D, Fayad P, Stergiou N: The Influence of Visual Perception of Self-Motion on Locomotion Adaptation. Journal of Motor Behavior 2011; 43(2): 99-109.
- Park SH, Suh IH, Chien JH, Paik JH, Ritter FE, Oleynikov D, Siu KC: Modeling Surgical Skill Learning with Cognitive Simulation. Studies in Health Technology and Informatics 2011; 163: 428-32.
- Siu KC, Suh IH, Mukherjee M, Oleynikov D, Stergiou N: The Impact of Environmental Noise On Robot-Assisted Laparoscopic Surgery. Surgery 2010; 147: 107-113.
- Siu KC, Chou LS, Mayr U, van Donkelaar P, Woollacott MH: Attentional Mechanisms Contributing to Balance Constraints during Gait: The Effects of Balance Impairments. Brain Research 2009; 1248: 59-67.
- Siu KC, Chou LS, Mayr U, van Donkelaar P, Woollacott MH: Does Inability to Allocate Attention Contribute to Balance Constraints during Gait in Older Adults? Journals of Gerontology. A, Biological Sciences and Medical Sciences 2008; 63(12): 1364-9.
- Siu KC, Lugade V, Chou LS, van Donkelaar P, Woollacott MH: Dual-task interference during obstacle clearance in healthy and balance-impaired older adults. Aging Clinical and Experimental Research 2008; 20(4): 349-54.
- Siu KC, Catena R, Chou LS, van Donkelaar P, Woollacott MH: Effects of Secondary Task on Obstacle Avoidance in Healthy Young Adults. Experimental Brain Research 2008 Jan; 184(1): 115-20.
- Siu KC, Woollacott MH: Attention Demands of Postural Control: The Ability to Selectively Allocate Information-Processing resources. Gait & Posture 2007 Jan; 25(1):121-6.
- Silsupadol P, Siu KC, Shumway-Cook A, Woollacott MH: Training of Balance under Single and Dual Task Conditions in Older Adults with Balance Impairment. Physical Therapy 2006 Feb; 86(2):269-81.
- American Physical Therapy Association
- Society of Neuroscience
- American Society of Biomechanics
- About the Profession
- Our Program
- Admission to the Program
Handbooks & Policies
- Clinical Education Resources
Assistant Professor &
Coordinator, SSUHSI MS-DPT Program