BSCLS DAO Admission Requirements
Applicants to the Degree Advancement Option (DAO) must:
- Graduate from a NAACLS accredited MLT/CLT program and be certified or registry-eligible;
- Complete a minimum of 77 hours of specific college prerequisite courses prior to enrollment in the program;
- Present a minimum of 17 semester hours from a baccalaureate degree-granting institution (only 60 semester credit hours may be transferred from a community college);
- Minimum of 2 upper level (200 or above) chemistry courses (may include Biochemistry, Organic Chemistry I and II or Analytical Chemistry - Biochemistry with a lab is strongly recommended) (this requirement can also be satisfied with MLT clinical chemistry coursework);
- Present a C or better for all 77 hours of prerequisite coursework;
- Present a prerequisite GPA of at least 2.5 on a 4.0 scale;
- Present a math & science GPA of at least 2.5 on a 4.0 scale.
Participants need to possess computer operating system skills and have easy access to a computer with a high speed Internet connection and up-to-date software. You may also need to purchase or have access to a digital camera and video camera. A local preceptor, or proctor, will be required (usually a supervisor who agrees to work with you to proctor exams and/or evaluate presentations) and you will need access and permission to follow cases at the facility where you work. To review the requirements and responsibilities for the preceptor/proctor click here.
Click here to review the Computer Requirements and Technical Competencies for online learners.
University / College DAO Prerequisites
microbiology (with lab preferred), genetics or molecular biology, and immunology
Chemistry (with labs)
|3 sem hrs|
|Mathematics (Statistics preferred)||3 sem hrs|
To request a transcript evaluation, please click here.
Students should select electives to achieve a total of 77 semester hours including a broad general educational background. Physiology and Molecular Biology are strongly recommended. Additional recommended subjects include Cell Biology, Introduction to Hematology, Pathogenic Microbiology and Parasitology. Upper level science courses taken at a 4-year institution are strongly recommended.
Admission to the BSCLS Degree Advancement Option requires the applicant to successfully complete at least 77 semester hours (115.5 quarter hours) at an accredited college or university. Only 60 semester credit hours can be accepted from a community college. At least 17 semester credit hours must be completed at a four-year institution.
NOTE: The CLS Program will not accept AP, CLEP, or DANTES credit toward the English Composition, Mathematics, or Science requirements. Any AP, CLEP, or DANTES credit earned in these categories will be used as elective prerequisite credit only. A maximum of 6 semester hours of College Level Examination Program (CLEP), Advanced Placement Program (APP) or Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES) will be accepted for transfer and will count towards the 17 credit hours required at a four-year institution.
All applications and transcripts are reviewed by SAHP Academic and Student Affairs on a case-by-case basis. Grades lower than “C” will not transfer for credit. Additional coursework may transfer for credit; course description and syllabus may be requested for evaluation of equivalency with UNMC. All foreign transcripts must be evaluated by an ASCP Board of Certification-approved agency.
Applicants will be considered without regard to age, sex, race, color, national origin, religion, political beliefs, or disability. Motivational factors, life experience, patient care experience, maturity, and references are important factors in the admission process.
- MPS Degree Advancement Option
- MPAS Degree Advancement Option
- Non-degree Seeking
- Financial Aid & Scholarships