BSCLS dao Program description
The BSCLS Degree Advancement Option (DAO) is offered through the University of Nebraska Medical Center (UNMC) and provides working clinical laboratory technicians/medical laboratory technicians (CLTs/MLTs) the opportunity to earn an advanced degree while continuing to work in their home communities. Please follow the instructions on the How to Apply page.
Qualified candidates are interviewed and mentored by a faculty advisor who works with students to develop an Individual Plan of Study for degree completion. The Plan of Study includes the core curriculum of the Clinical Laboratory Science program, which tailors the technicians' clinical and educational background to their professional goals. Once the Individual Plan of Study has been determined, accepted students will be approved to enroll in the DAO.
A minimum of 43 semester hours of coursework from UNMC must be completed to qualify for degree completion. Students must be awarded a minimum of 120 total semester hours of college credit to be eligible to graduate from UNMC, therefore, additional coursework may be required. Students are allowed up to 5 years to complete the degree advancement option, however it is possible to complete the program in two years.
Courses are available through a variety of distance learning technologies. Students are required to write papers, complete projects, conduct research, communicate with professors and students online, work independently on assignments and with coworkers on group projects, do case presentations, take quizzes and exams, etc.
The BSCLS Degree Advancement Option (DAO) has three objectives:
- To enable practicing clinical laboratory professionals, currently registry-eligible or certified, to earn a Bachelor of Science degree in Clinical Laboratory Science.
- To utilize distance learning technologies; providing access to education and the opportunity for technicians to continue to work in their profession while they complete their degree.
- To provide clinical laboratory professionals the opportunity to advance professionally and personally, develop independent-thinking and critical-judgment skills, and become more flexible and competitive in today’s healthcare environment.
- MPS Degree Advancement Option
- MPAS Degree Advancement Option
- Non-degree Seeking
- Financial Aid & Scholarships