PA Admission Fast Facts
Master of Physician Assistant Studies
The program is 28 months in length, starting in August and ending two years later in December.
Admission to the Physician Assistant Program requires the applicant to successfully complete the following prior to matriculation:
Required Undergraduate Prerequisites
Successful completion of a bachelor’s degree at an accredited college or university (only 66 semester hours can be accepted from a community college). This course work must include 50 hours of required course work in specific disciplines as shown below:
Biological Sciences - (minimum of sixteen semester hours)
Biology - 4 sem hrs
Human Anatomy - 4 sem hrs
Human Physiology - 4 sem hrs
NOTE: Anatomy and Physiology may also be taken in an 8 sem hr combined course.
Microbiology - 4 sem hrs
Immunology is strongly recommended
Chemistry - (minimum of sixteen semester hours)
General or Inorganic Chemistry with lab - 8 sem hrs (one year sequence)
Organic Chemistry with lab - 4 sem hrs (one year sequence recommended)
Biochemistry (lab recommended) - 4 sem hrs
Psychology - (minimum of nine semester hours)
General Psychology - 3 sem hrs
Abnormal Psychology - 3 sem hrs
Life Span/Developmental Psychology (or other psychology elective) - 3 sem hrs
Mathematics - (minimum of three semester hours)
Statistics - 3 sem hrs
Algebra is strongly recommended.
English - (minimum of six semester hours)
English Composition - 3 sem hrs
Additional Writing or English Composition - 3 sem hrs
Required course work graded Pass/Fail or credit obtained by CLEP Examination or Advanced Placement (AP) will not be accepted for any of the 50 hours.
1. A minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 (A=4.0) is required.
2. Grades below "C" are not accepted in transfer to the University of Nebraska (e.g., C-, D+, D, D-, F).
Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
The General Test of the Graduate Record Examination (verbal, quantitative and analytical writing) is required. Scores must be sent by October 1st using UNMC PA Education Program Code 4917, Physician Assistant Department Code 0634.
1. Bachelor’s degree prior to matriculation (maximum of 66 from a community college)
2. CASPA (Central Application Service for Physician Assistants) application
3. Three CASPA letters of recommendation
4. Official Transcripts to CASPA using the CASPA Transcript Request Form
5. GRE General Test scores sent to UNMC PA Program, Code 4917, Physician Assistant Department Code 0634
6. Supplemental Application with $70 fee (will be sent after CASPA application is received at Program)
7. If your native language is not English, click this link: English proficiency requirement
8. If you completed coursework from an institution outside the USA: Foreign transcripts
Program Demographics for Class Entering Fall 2012
Number of applications received: 363 Number of students Accepted: 48
Average Overall GPA of applicants: 3.45 Average Overall GPA of Accepted Students: 3.78
Average Science GPA of applicants: 3.22 Average Science GPA of Accepted Students: 3.64
Average GRE scores of applicants: Average GRE scores of Accepted Students:
Verbal: 470 Quantitative: 610 Analytical Writing: 4.0 Verbal: 480 Quantitative: 640 Analytical Writing: 4.0
- About the Profession
- Our Program
- Admission to the Program
- MPAS Degree Advancement Option (Distance Learning Program)
Handbooks & Policies