PA Admission Fast Facts
Master of Physician Assistant Studies
Program Length and Locations
The program is 28 months in length, starting in August and ending two years later in December. The equivalent program will be offered on two campuses, UNMC in Omaha, and the University of Nebraska Kearney.
Successful completion of a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university. Any major is acceptable.
Required Undergraduate Prerequisites
The following 50 hours of course work is required. These courses may be planned or in progress during the application process. All prerequisite course work must be successfully completed by July 15th of the year of intended entry.
Biological Sciences - (minimum of sixteen semester hours)
Biology - 4 sem hrs
Human Anatomy - 4 sem hrs
Human Physiology - 4 sem hrs
NOTE: Anatomy and Physiology may also be taken in an 8 sem hr combined course.
Microbiology - 4 sem hrs
Immunology and Genetics are strongly recommended.
Chemistry - (minimum of sixteen semester hours)
General or Inorganic Chemistry with lab - 8 sem hrs (one year sequence)
Organic Chemistry with lab - 4 sem hrs (one year sequence recommended)
Biochemistry (lab recommended) - 4 sem hrs
Psychology - (minimum of nine semester hours)
General Psychology - 3 sem hrs
Abnormal Psychology - 3 sem hrs
Life Span/Developmental Psychology (or other psychology elective) - 3 sem hrs
Mathematics - (minimum of three semester hours)
Statistics - 3 sem hrs
Algebra is strongly recommended.
English - (minimum of six semester hours)
English Composition - 3 sem hrs
Additional Writing or English Composition - 3 sem hrs
Required course work graded Pass/Fail or credit obtained by CLEP Examination or Advanced Placement (AP) will not be accepted for any of the 50 hours.
1. A minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 (A=4.0) is required.
2. Grades below "C" are not accepted in transfer to the University of Nebraska (e.g., C-, D+, D, D-, F).
3. Any repeated course grades (original and repeated) will be averaged in the CASPA GPA calculations and used accordingly in evaluation of the application.
Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
The General Test of the Graduate Record Examination (verbal, quantitative and analytical writing) is required. Scores must be sent by October 1st using UNMC PA Education Program Code 4917, Physician Assistant Department Code 0634.
1. Bachelor’s degree prior to matriculation (maximum of 66 from a community college)
2. CASPA (Central Application Service for Physician Assistants) application
3. Three CASPA letters of recommendation
4. Official Transcripts to CASPA using the CASPA Transcript Request Form
5. GRE General Test scores sent to UNMC PA Program, Code 4917, Physician Assistant Department Code 0634
6. Supplemental Application with $70 fee (will be sent after CASPA application is received at Program)
7. English proficiency requirement, if your native language is not English.
8. Foreign transcripts, if you completed coursework from an institution outside the USA.
Program Demographics for Class Entering Fall 2013
Number of applications received: 383 Number of students Accepted: 50
Average Overall GPA of applicants: 3.45 Average Overall GPA of Accepted Students: 3.79
Average Science GPA of applicants: 3.25 Average Science GPA of Accepted Students: 3.71
Average GRE scores of applicants: Average GRE scores of Accepted Students:
Verbal: 152 Quantitative: 152 Analytical Writing: 4.0 Verbal: 154 Quantitative: 154 Analytical Writing: 4.0
- Campus PA Admissions
- Faculty & Staff
Mission, History, & Goals
Handbooks & Policies
- About the Profession
- Advancing Rural Primary Care Conference