Master of Physician Assistant Studies
A Practical Solution
Because of the advantages of having a master's degree, physician assistants are seeking ways to further their education. Recognizing that returning to a college campus for postgraduate study is impractical for most working physician assistants, the University of Nebraska Medical Center Physician Assistant Program offers a degree advancement option (DAO) to enable practicing PAs to advance from the bachelor's degree to the master's degree. Now in its third decade, this program has provided master’s degrees to nearly 6,000 practicing PAs.
This program provides an opportunity for practicing physician assistants with a bachelor's degree to obtain a professional postgraduate master's degree in as little as five semesters at a reasonable cost and without any required travel. The program can be completed in 5 semesters. However, students are allowed up to five years to complete the DAO. Upon completion of the program, physician assistants are awarded the Master of Physician Assistant Studies degree.
Features of the Program
Students in the Degree Advancement Option:
- Acquire new competencies and skills by completing 800 hours of advanced supervised clinical practice at their place of employment,
- Learn current concepts in the areas of health care policy and medical ethics,
- Improve research skills by investigating a medical topic and presenting the results in a scientific paper.
- Select the option of the education track and study instructional design, education theory and leadership, and complete 320 hours of teaching in a supervised environment
- Successful candidates earn the professional degree - Master of Physician Assistant Studies (MPAS).
- Accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.
- Approved by the Regents of the University of Nebraska and the Nebraska State Department of Education.
- Approved for military tuition assistance, and VA educational benefits.
- Options for study are available in almost every medical specialty or the education track can open opportunities in academia or community health promotion.
- MPS Degree Advancement Option
- MPAS Degree Advancement Option
- Non-degree Seeking
- Financial Aid & Scholarships