School of Allied Health Professions, College of Medicine
University of Nebraska Medical Center
984420 Nebraska Medical Center
Omaha, NE 68198-4420
Division of Physical Therapy Education, School of Allied Health, College of Medicine, University of Nebraska Medical Center
Ph.D. University of California, Los Angeles Kinesiology (Neuroscience Concentration)
M.S. University of California, Los Angeles Kinesiology
B.S. Washington University, St. Louis, MO Physical Therapy
Post-Graduate Fellow: Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, Division of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, UCLA School of Medicine
Primary Teaching Responsibilities:
Investigates how preterm delivery impacts brain and behavior development during the infancy period, studies the efficacy of NICU-based interventions on improving infant cognitive development.
Investigates how community-based strategies can reduce health disparities in adverse birth outcomes.
Articles published in scholarly journals:
1. Gabet, Y, Baniwal, S, LeClerc, N, SK, Shi, Y, Kohn-Gabet, AE, Cogan, J, Dixon, A, Bachar, M, Guo, L, Turman, Jr., JE, Frenkel, B (in press) Krox2-/ERG2 deficiency accelerates cell growth and differentiation in the monocytic lineage and decreases bone mass. Blood
2. Dominguez, JF, Guo, LX, Carrasco Molnar, MA, Ballester Escobedo, A, Dunphy, T, Lund, TD, Turman, Jr., JE (2009) Novel Indirect Calorimetry Technology to Analyze Metabolism in Individual Neonatal Rodent Pups. PloS One, 4(8):e6790.
3. Tai, WC, Burke, KA, Dominguez, JF, Gundamraj, L, Turman, Jr., JE (2009) Growth Deficits in a Postnatal Day 3 Rat Model of Hypoxic Ischemic Brain Injury. Behav Brain Res. 202:40-49.
4. Turman, Jr., JE (2007) The development of mastication: From neurons to behavior. Arch Oral Biol. 52:313-316.
5. Ishihama, K, Turman, Jr., JE (2006) NR3 protein expression in trigeminal neurons during postnatal development. Brain Res. 1095:12-16.
6. De S, Turman, Jr., J.E. (2005) Krox-20 Expression: Influencing Hindbrain-Craniofacial Developmental Interactions. Arch Histol Cytol. 68(4):227-234.
7. Ishihama, K, Kogo M, Wakisaka S, Turman, Jr., J.E. (2005) Prenatal development of NMDA receptor composition and function in trigeminal neurons. Arch Histol Cytol. 68(4):321-335.
8. De, S, Nguyen AQ, Shuler, CF, Turman, Jr., JE (2005) Mesencephalic Trigeminal Nucleus Development is Dependent on KROX-20 Expression. Dev Neurosci. 27(1):49-58.
9. Honma S, De S, Li D, Shuler CF, Turman, Jr. JE (2004) Developmental Regulation of Connexins 26, 32, 36, and 43 in Trigeminal Neurons. Synapse 52:258-271.
10. De, S., Shuler, C.F., Turman, Jr., J.E. (2003) The ontogeny of Krox-20 expression in brainstem and cerebellar neurons. J. Chem. Neuroanat. 25: 213-226.
11. Tanaka, S, Wu, N., Hsaio-C-F., Turman, Jr., J., Chandler, S.H. (2003) Development of inward rectification and control of membrane excitability in mesencephalic V neurons. J. Neurophysiol. 89:1288-1298.
12. Turman, Jr., J.E., Lee, O.K., Chandler, S.H. (2002) Differential expression of NR2A and NR2B between trigeminal neurons during early postnatal development. Synapse 44:76-85.
13. Turman, Jr., J.E., Rich, R.A., Chandler, S.H. (2001) GABAA receptor b2/b3 subunit and GAD67 immunoreactivity in the trigeminal motor nucleus during early postnatal development. Dev. Brain Res. 130:155-158.
14. Turman, Jr., J.E., Chopiuk, N.B., Shuler, C.F. (2001) The Krox-20 null mutation differentially affects the development of masticatory muscles. Dev. Neurosci. 23:113-121.
15. Turman, Jr., J.E., Hiyama, L., Castillo, M., Chandler, S.H. (2000) Expression of group I and II metabotropic glutamate receptors in trigeminal neurons during postnatal development. Dev. Neurosci. 23:41-54.
16. Turman, Jr., J.E., MacDonald, A.S., Pawl, K.E.W., Bringas, P., Chandler, S.H. (2000) AMPA receptor subunit expression in trigeminal neurons during postnatal development. J. Comp. Neurol 427:109-123.
17. Turman, Jr., J.E., Ajdari, J., Chandler, S.H. (1999) NMDA receptor NR1 and NR2A/B subunit expression in trigeminal neurons during early postnatal development. J. Comp. Neurol. 409:237-249.
18. Betz, C.B., Raynor, O., Turman, Jr., J.E. (1998) Use of an interdisciplinary team for clinical instruction. Nurse Educ. 23(1):32-37.
19. Betz, C.B., Turman, Jr., J.E. (1997) A process of developing terminal competencies for an interdisciplinary training program. J. Allied Health 26(3):113-118.
20. Turman, Jr., J.E., Chandler, S.H. (1994) Immunohistochemical evidence for GABA and glycine-containing trigeminal premotoneurons in the guinea pig. Synapse 18:7-20.
21. Turman, Jr., J.E., Chandler, S.H. (1994) Immunohistochemical localization of glutamate and glutaminase in guinea pig trigeminal premotoneurons. Brain Res. 634:49-61.
22. Chandler, S.H., Turman, Jr., J.E., Salem, L., Goldberg, L.J. (1990) The effects of nanoliter ejections of lidocaine into the pontomedullary reticular formation on cortically induced rhythmical jaw movements in the guinea pig. Brain Res. 526:54-64.
Editorial Board Member: Developmental Psychobiology
Advisory Board: Soul Food for Your Baby
Treasurer: International Society for Developmental Psychobiology
Professor and Program Director
Division of Physical Therapy Education