Division of Physical Therapy Education
University of Nebraska Medical Center
984420 Nebraska Medical Center
Omaha, NE 68198-4420
Assistant Professor, Division of Physical Therapy Education, UNMC, 2007
Credentialed in the Functional Independence Measure under the Uniform Data System for Medical Rehabilitation, 2012
Clinical Specialist in Neurologic Physical Therapy, ABPTS, 2009
MS, Exercise Science, University of Nebraska at Omaha, 2004
BS, Allied Health Sciences-Physical Therapy, University of Missouri-Columbia, 1979
Primary Teaching Responsibilities:
PHYT 616, Neuromuscular Physical Therapy II (course coordinator)
PHYT 617, Neuromuscular Physical Therapy III (course coordinator)
PHYT 522, Professional Practice Expectations I (course coordinator)
Research interests: Physical therapy outcome measures, educational simulation, interprofessional education, neurological physical therapy interventions (pediatrics and adults), stroke care and quality outcomes. Currently a co-investigator on non-invasive cranial nerve stimulation in MS patients.
1. Jones KJ, Cochran T, Jensen L, Roehrs T, Volkman K, Goldman A. (2012). A Cross-Sectional Assessment of Stroke Rehabilitation in Nebraska Hospitals. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 93:1662-1670.
2. Kurz MJ, Wilson TW, Corr B, Volkman K (2012). Body Weight Supported Treadmill Training Influences the Neuromagnetic Activity of the Somatosensory Cortices of Children with Cerebral Palsy. Journal of Neurologic Physical Therapy, 36 (4):166-172.
3. Kurz MJ, Corr B, Stuberg W, Volkman KG, Smith N (2011). Evaluation of Lower Body Positive Pressure Supported Treadmill Training for Children with Cerebral Palsy. Pediatric Physical Therapy, 23:232-239.
4. Volkman KG, Stergiou N, Stuberg W, Blanke D, Stoner J. Factors affecting functional reach test scores in youth with typical development. Pediatric Physical Therapy, 21(1): 38-44.
5. Volkman KG, Stergiou N, Stuberg W, Blanke D, Stoner J. Methods to improve the reliability of the functional reach test in children and adolescents with typical development. Pediatr Phys Ther, 19(1):20-27, 2006.
American Physical Therapy Association: member of Acute, Education & Neurology sections Nebraska Physical Therapy Association: Chair of Continuing Education Committee
Member, Nebraska Stroke Advisory Council Steering Committee, 2012-present
Member, Nebraska Stroke Advisory Council Rehab Task Force, 2010-present
Advisory Board, Clarkson College Physical Therapist Assistant Program
Nebraska Special Olympics-Funfitness
UNMC Sharing Clinic
Acute and outpatient neurologic rehabilitation, pediatric physical therapy in outpatient and school-based setting, acute care.
- About the Profession
- Our Program
- Admission to the Program
Handbooks & Policies
Clinical Education Resources