UNMC is located on a eighty-acre campus located in the center of Omaha, Nebraska. UNMC's research laboratories are housed in 12 buildings for a total of more than a million square feet of laboratory space. The Durham Research Center, a state-of-the-art, 500,000 square-foot facility of modern research laboratory space, was recently completed. Below is a list of some of the UNMC research facilities and services that are available for BRTP student research activities. For a complete list, see Office of Research Resources.
Research Core Facilities:
A key Strength to research capabilities at UNMC is the solid collection of research core facilities that provide that provide that state-of-the-art research equipment and technical expertise.
- Molecular Biology Core Facility (DNA synthesis/sequencing)
- Protein Structure Core Facility (protein sequencing and peptide/amino acid analysis)
- Mass Spectrometry
- Cell Analysis Facility (flow cytometry, cell sorting, and confocal microscopy)
- Confocal Microscopy Facility
- Monoclonal Antibody Facility (for both monoclonal and polyclonal antibody production)
- Molecular-Interaction Facility (BIAcore real-time kinetic analysis of molecular interactions)
- Mouse Genome Engineering Facility (gene targeting and gene knockouts)
- DNA Microarray Core Facility
- FISH Imaging Core Facility
- Molecular Modeling Core Facility (Computer modeling of macromolecules)
- P3 Facilities (high containment level research areas)
- Quantitative Fluorescence Microscopy Facility
- Genetic Sequence Analysis Facility (Computerized sequence analysis)
- NMR Facility
- Transmission Electron Microscopy Laboratory
- Scanning Electron Microscopy Laboratory
- NHS Clinical Laboratories (for analysis of tissues, blood, plasma, etc.)
Other UNMC Research Support Services
- McGoogan Library of Medicine (a member of the National Network of Libraries of Medicine)
- Biomedical Communications (provides photography/graphics support)
- Biomedical Instrumentation (provides evaluation and maintenance of electronic and electro-mechanical equipment, also provides design engineering and construction of customized-designed equipment)
- Information Technology Services (provides computer maintenance and assistance with hardware and software problems).
- Biostatistical Consulting Services
- Bioethical Consulting Services
- Printing Services (provides small to large scale custom printing)
- UNMC Bookstore
- Certified Animal Care Facilities
In addition to these resources, the various departments, institutes, and investigators have a full complement of equipment used in modern biological and biomedical research. This includes spectrophotometers, centrifuges, PCR, tissue culture facilities, scintillation counters, densitometers, image processing workstations, a wide variety of microscopes, dark rooms, cold rooms, various chromatography and electrophoresis systems, and other research equipment/facilities.