The Nebraska Biobank
The Nebraska Biobank is a Nebraska Research Initiative (NRI) developed joint effort of the University of Nebraska Medical Center (UNMC) and The Nebraska Medical Center (TNMC) to facilitate research in health care. The Nebraska Biobank is made up of residual blood samples from patients who want to take part.
Patients at the UNMC-P clinics and the TNMC and Bellevue hospitals are being asked at check-in to participate by donating any blood left from their scheduled laboratory tests to the Nebraska Biobank. Serum and DNA are recovered from the consented samples and stored for future research studies. Deidentified data from the Electronic Health Record (EHR) such as age range, diagnosis, and medications are linked to the stored samples. Any faculty member from the University of Nebraska system may request samples from the biobank for their research projects but all requests are subject to feasibility and scientific merit review.
How do I access samples for my research project?
- Download and complete the application. You will need to provide some basic information regarding the extent and needs of your research project.
- Return your completed form to Dr. Purnima Guda, Electronic Health Records Core, for feasibility review. Feasibility review is necessary to determine whether the Nebraska Biobank contains sufficient number and type of samples to meet your proposed research project needs.
- Once your request passes feasibility review it will be sent on to the Biobank Review Committee for final approval.
- You will be notified when your request has been reviewed by the committee and arrangements to transfer or receive your requested samples will be made at that time.
2013 Nebraska Biobank RFA
We are pleased to announce the first Nebraska Biobank RFA. The Bank now contains over 10,000 specimens with an ongoing rate of about 2,000/month. The biobank is accepting requests for projects to determine the availability of sufficient type and number of samples. For this purpose the Biobank has created an RFA which will cover the costs of sample retrieval and processing. Details regarding the submission criteria and deadlines can be found on the RFA linked here. Download application form.
What costs are associated with withdrawing samples from the Nebraska Biobank?
|Feasibility Review||No Charge|
|Serum (up to 300 μL/sample) Retrieval||TBD/sample|
|DNA (up to 2 μg/sample) Retrieval||TBD/sample|
|Specialized Processing||Contact Claudia Borgeson for estimate|
|DNA Analysis||See High-Throughput DNA Sequencing and Next Generation Core Facilities for pricing|
To request an estimate for research proposal budgets please contact, Tara Stafford (firstname.lastname@example.org or 402-559-6803)
- Sponsored Programs Administration
Download the RFA
Download an Application
Return the completed form to Purnima Guda, PhD for review.