UNMC Cycling Club Information
UNMC Forms New Cycling Club
Whether you're new to biking or a regular on the trails, UNMC's new Cycling Club promises a summer of fun and fitness.
The UNMC Cycling Club is designed to increase awareness of the benefits and enjoyment of cycling; assist employees, students and their families in getting started in a regular cycling program; and build camaraderie among cycling club members.
"This is a great opportunity for employees to focus on activity and make it fun," said Jayme Nekuda, manager of health promotion at UNMC. "Cycling is a great family activity and the club is another way for employees to find colleagues who share an interest in cycling."
Riders of all levels and abilities are welcome to join and participate in the club's scheduled activities, which are listed on UNMC Cycling Club Web site.
Upcoming Cycling Events Include:
- Corporate Cycling Challenge usually on the third Sunday in August, where cyclists choose to ride 10, 22 or 45 miles. As part of the incentive program, participants can earn a prize for increasing your miles from last year or getting another employee to participate who didn't ride last year.
- Wednesday on the Trail - Organized Wednesday evening rides beginning in early April. In the case of inclement weather, call 559-5254. Cyclists will meet at the gravel parking lot, in Roberts Park, just north of Cass St. on 78th St. Riders may traverse the Keystone Trail for as short or as long as they want then meet at Sam and Louie's New York Pizzeria, 7641 Cass St., between 7 and 8 p.m. for pizza specials for UNMC riders.
- Bike Expo to be held the first part of May in the Durham Outpatient Center West Atrium (details to be announced). Employees will have an opportunity to talk with representatives of Bike Masters and experienced UNMC cyclists about any of your bicycling questions. See some of the newest cycling technology. Learn about selecting and fitting a bike. Find out about the skills and equipment necessary to make your bike rides safe and enjoyable.
Anyone interested in learning more about the UNMC Cycling Club should visit the Web site at UNMC Cycling Club Web site. The site includes riding events/ workshops, links to area trails, a forum for members to exchange information, a section to buy, sell or loan cycling gear, safety tips, as well as links to related cycling sites.
Weight Watchers At Work
UNMC Blood Drive
- Walking Information
- Cycling Information
- Consent to Participate
- Running Information
- Anyone can join (UNMC employees, students, family members, friends), just contact Jayme Nekuda at 559-8962 or Peter Pellerito at 559-5253.
- Communication will be emailed (or mailed) to those completing contact information on their registration forms (ride cancellations, workshops, etc).
- Organized Wednesday evening rides will begin in April and continue through the Fall (weather permitting).