Applications to UNMC’s College of Medicine must be submitted online though the American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS). The centralized site will allow you to submit your application and select which medical school(s) will receive it for review.
The regular deadline is November 1.
If UNMC is your first choice for medical school, you can apply to the Early Decision Program (EDP). In this program, applications are accepted between June 1 and August 1. You will be notified of your acceptance in October.
Once your application is reviewed, you will be notified of any course deficiencies and also will be requested to furnish the following materials to supplement the application:
- Letters of recommendation from two of your instructors or an official report from a premedical committee may be submitted.
- If you are reapplying, current recommendations are required.
- For graduate students, a letter of reference from the major professor and/or director of the graduate program is required.
- Additional letters from employers or individuals with whom you have had a significant life experience are welcome. Letters from these individuals may be substituted for the preferred academic letters for nontraditional applicants or those removed from their formal schoolwork for several years.
- Please limit the total number of recommendation letters submitted to four.
- One recent photograph (2" x 2")
It is your responsibility to verify that all application materials, especially letters of recommendation, have been received by the admissions committee by the deadline.
- The primary objective of the interview is to focus on the applicant's personality, general functioning and capabilities; not upon intellectual achievements. Therefore, the applicant's academic credentials are not shared with the interviewer until the interview has been completed. Applicants can expect to be asked to respond to questions about the development of their thinking about a career in medicine, the positions of responsibility they have held, their leisure time pursuits or people who have been influential in their lives. Interviewers are especially interested in assessing candidates' abilities to develop rapport and to communicate ideas effectively. During the interview, applicants are given the opportunity to discuss or display those factors about which they feel particularly positive and also explain aspects of their application which may raise questions.
All re-applicants must reapply through AMCAS as outlined in the application procedure section. Re-applicants are strongly encouraged to identify, if possible, any factors which influenced the unfavorable decision and alter them before reapplying.
- Pre-Medical Programs
First and Second Year Curriculum
Year Three Requirements
- Additional Programs
- First and Second Year Curriculum
- Dual Degree
School of Allied Health Professions
- Graduate Medical Education
Continuing Medical Education
- Learning Facilities
- Student Organizations, Interest Groups, and Activities
New Student Orientation
Latest interview date: January
You can find more deadlines and information in our Application Brochure.