Our goal for the medical degree program is to prepare you for success in primary care or specialty fields. Throughout the course of your four years, you will learn to master the following concepts and skills:
1. Medical Knowledge: Students will apply and recall knowledge of human structure, function, development, pathophysiology, and psychosocial development.
2. Patient Care & Clinical Skills: Students will demonstrate and use their knowledge, procedural and cognitive skills in the diagnosis, management, and prevention of health problems encountered in patient care.
3. Practice-based Learning & Improvement: Students will identify gaps in understanding, recognize personal limitations, and demonstrate habits of self-directed learning to acquire or improve knowledge and skills.
4. Interpersonal & Communication Skills: Students will employ effective listening, verbal, and written communication skills with patients, family members, colleagues, and other health professionals to promote optimal health outcomes.
5. Professionalism: Students will employ and exemplify altruism, accountability, excellence, duty, service, honor, integrity, and respect for others into all aspects of their professional lives.
6. Systems of Health Care: Students will analyze health care delivery settings and systems in order to advocate for patients, identify opportunities for quality improvement, and optimize patient safety through open communication of errors.
7. Interprofessional Collaboration: Students will prepare to function effectively in teams and within organizations, applying community and other resources to medical problems for individual patients and groups.
8. Personal & Professional Development: Students will develop skills and exhibit qualities necessary to sustain lifelong personal and professional growth.
Detailed learning objectives may be found at http://unmc.edu/com/curriculum_goals.htm.
- Pre-Medical Programs
First and Second Year Curriculum
Year Three Requirements
- Additional Programs
- First and Second Year Curriculum
- Dual Degree
School of Allied Health Professions
- Graduate Medical Education
Continuing Medical Education
- Learning Facilities
- Student Organizations, Interest Groups, and Activities
New Student Orientation