UNMC College of Dentistry
Baccalaureate Degree Program in Dental Hygiene
- Prepare individuals to perform to the level of competency specified by the UNMC Dental Hygiene faculty.
- Prepare graduates to perform to the level of competency specified by National and all Regional/State examining boards.
- Prepare individuals who are able to recognize and uphold the ethical/legal issues that arise in dental hygiene practice.
- Prepare individuals who can foster health promotion and disease prevention within the community.
- Prepare individuals who are competent in application of self-assessment skills to prepare them for life-long learning.
- Prepare individuals who effectively communicate professional knowledge with patients, colleagues, and other health care providers.
- Select a qualified student body.
- Provide faculty/students with opportunities in research and professional development.
- Provide the degree completion option to allow students holding an associate degree/certificate to obtain a Bachelor of Science Degree in Dental Hygiene.
- Provide courses that consistently meet the clearly stated course goals and student outcomes and prepare students for state-of-the-art dental hygiene practice.
- Provide patient-centered, comprehensive, evidence-based dental hygiene care.
- Expand service learning rotations to the most vulnerable/underserved patient populations including the sealant program and long-term care facilities/hospitals in order to prepare students for roles outside the traditional dental practice setting.
- Investigate the possibility of making the baccalaureate degree the minimum entry level into the dental hygiene profession in Nebraska.
- Increase IPE and dental/dental hygiene experiences.
- Dental Program
- Dental Hygiene Program
- Postgraduate Programs
- MSIA Graduate Program