Friday, November 15, 2013
Location: College of Dentistry
Speaker: Drs. J. Bruce Bavitz & Darrell Ebke
Credits: 3CE hrs.
$130 Dentists & $65 Auxiliary
DENT130019 - Dentists
DENT130020 - Auxiliary
J. Bruce Bavitz, DMD, graduated from the University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine in 1984 and completed his Oral/Maxillofacial Surgery (OMFS) Residency in Pittsburgh in 1988. He is currently the Merritt C. Pederson Professor and Chair of the Department of Surgical Specialties at the University of Nebraska College of Dentistry, and has given multiple CE courses to dentists both nationally and internationally. He is past president of the Nebraska Society of OMFS and the Lincoln District Dental Society, is a Diplomate of the American Board of OMFS and a Fellow in the American College of Dentists. He has a United States patent on a dental implant aligning device, has completed a five year term as a member of the Oral Surgery/Pain Control test construction section for the National Dental Board, and has performed office inspections for the State of Nebraska for dentist's seeking advanced anesthesia permits. He is currently the coordinating editor for Practical Reviews in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery and serves as a reviewer for multiple implant and oral surgery journals. His primary area of research and publishing involves the surgical anatomy of the jaws and alveolar bone reconstruction.
This 3 hour course will focus on preventing and treating the medical emergencies common in the dental practice.
All participants, if they so elect, will get to work with the college’s new high fidelity “Sim Man” computerized patient simulator.
At the completion of this course,
- Recognize the importance of an accurate medical history in preventing emergencies
- Know why stress may cause emergencies for the dental patient
- Gain skills in making a differential diagnosis for common problems
- Review the indications and pharmacology of drugs used to treat emergencies
- Review when to call 911, and conversely, when it is reasonable to manage the problem yourself
- Simulate the diagnosis and treatment of emergencies on Sim Man
Method of teaching: Lecture/discussion
Continuing Education Courses
Save the Date Calendar
Golf and Learn
- Resin Adhesion to Tooth Structure & Caries Management
Updates in Oral Surgery, Local Anesthesia, and Sedation
- Risk Factors for Periodontal Disease: An Update on Inflammation
- Medical Emergencies in the Dental Office: Hands on w/ Sim Man
2014 Weeth Lecture
What's New 2014
Coronal Polishing 2014
- Save the Date Calendar
- College of Dentistry Alumni
Nebraska Practice Opportunities