Ali Nawshad, Ph.D.
Title: Associate Professor (Adjunct Associate Professor, Department of Genetics, Cell Biology & Anatomy, UNMC)
Department of Oral Biology
UNMC College of Dentistry
40th and Holdrege
Lincoln, NE 68583-0740
Telephone: (402) 472-1378
Fax: (402) 472-2551
- B.D.S The University of Dhaka, Bangladesh
- M.D.Sc. (Oral Biology & Pathology) - The University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
- Ph.D. (Oral Biology) - The University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
- Research Fellow (Cell Biology) Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
- Course Instructor, Biochemistry for Dental Students (OB 525)
- Course Instructor, General Pathology I (OB 539)
- Course Instructor, General Pathology II (OB 540)
- Course Instructor, Advanced Oral Biology (OBIO 855)
- Transforming Growth Factor (TGF) ß signaling during palate development
- Mechanisms of Epithelial-Mesenchymal Transition (EMT) by TGFß in HNSCC
- Role of TGFß signaling during dentinogenesis
Dr. Ferhat Ozturk,
Ph.D., Postdoctoral Fellow,
Mr. ChangChih Liu,
M.Sc., Research Technologist,
Ms. Xujuan Zhu,
Ms. Azadeh Jalali,
Dr. Tariq Alsmadi,
- Nebraska Bankers Association Grant for Equipment, Title: "Thermo Scientific Nanodrop Spectrophotometer" PI: Ali Nawshad, 2010
- NIH - National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, Title: TGF ß 3 signaling in the development of palate. RO1 grant, 03/2008-02/2013; PI: Ali Nawshad
- Medici, D., Nawshad, A. (2010). Type I collagen promotes epithelial-mesenchymal transition through ILK-dependent activation of NF-kappaB and LEF-1.Matrix Biol. (3):pp161-5.
- Nawshad, A. (2008) Palatal seam disintegration: to die or not to die? That is no longer the question. Dev Dyn. (10):pp2643-56.
S. Ahmed, C. Liu and A. Nawshad (2007): Mechanisms of palatal epithelial seam disintegration by Transforming growth factor ß3 (TGFß3). Developmental Biology.; 309; pp193-207
- S. Ahmed and A. Nawshad (2007): Complexity in interpretation of embryonic epithelial-mesenchymal transition in response to transforming growth factor-beta signaling. Cells Tissues Organs.;185(1-3):pp131-45.
- A. Nawshad, D. Medici, C. Liu and E.D. Hay (2007): TGFß3 inhibits E-cadherin gene expression in palate medial-edge epithelial cells through a Smad2-Smad4-LEF1 transcription complex. J Cell Sci.;120:pp1646-53.
- D. Lagamba, A. Nawshad and E.D. Hay (2005): Microarray Analysis of Gene Expression during Epithelial-Mesenchymal Transformation Dev. Dyn. 234(1):pp132-142
- A. Nawshad, D. LaGamba. A. Polad and E.D. Hay (2005): "Transforming Growth Factor-ß Signaling during Epithelial-Mesenchymal Transformation: Implications for Embryogenesis and Tumor Metastasis." Cells Tissues Organs;179:pp11-23
- A. Nawshad, D. LaGamba and E.D. Hay (2004): Transforming growth factor ß (TGFß) signaling in palatal growth and epithelial-mesenchymal transformation (EMT). Arch. Oral Biol. 49(9) pp. 675-689
- A. Nawshad, D. Lagamba, B.R. Olsen and E.D. Hay (2004): Laser capture microdissection (LCM) for analysis of gene expression in specific tissues during embryonic epithelial-mesenchymal transformation. Dev Dyn.; 230(3):pp529-34.
- A. Nawshad and E.D. Hay (2003): TGFß3 upregulates LEF1 gene to induce epithelial mesenchymal transformation during mouse palate development. J Cell Biol. 22;163(6):pp1291-1301
- Department of Adult Restorative Dentistry
Department of Dental Hygiene
- Department of Growth & Development
- Department of Oral Biology
- Department of Surgical Specialties