Peter M. Spalding, D.D.S., M.S., M.S.
Title: Associate Professor, Department of Growth and Development (Orthodontics/Dentofacial Orthopedics), Advanced Specialty Education Program in Orthodontics/Dentofacial Orthopedics
Department of Growth & Development
UNMC College of Dentistry
40th and Holdrege
Lincoln, NE 68583-0740
Telephone: (402) 472-1302
Fax: (402) 472-5290
- B.A. University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa
- D.D.S. University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa
- Certificate (Pedodontics) University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
- M.S. (Pedodontics) University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
- Certificate (Orthodontics) University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
- M.S. (Orthodontics) University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
- Diplomate, American Board of Orthodontics
- Director: D-ID 840; Craniofacial Growth and Development I (Fall)
- Director: D-ID 841; Craniofacial Growth and Development II (Spring)
- Instructor: OBIO 855; Advanced Oral Biology (Fall)
- Instructor: SPA 96; Cleft Palate (Summer)
- Director: Orthodontic Clinic (All year)
- Director: Clinical Management of Craniofacial Anomalies (Spring/Summer)
- Director: Craniofacial Anomalies Program (All year)
- Co-Director: Orthodontic and Surgical Interaction I, II, III (All year)
- Co-Director: Dentofacial Deformities Program (All year)
- Co-Director: Current and Classic Literature (Fall/Spring)
- Instructor: Clinical Orthodontic Seminar (All year)
- Co-Director: Orthodontic and Endodontic Interaction (Spring-Odd year)
- Co-Director: Orthodontic and Periodontic Interaction (Spring)
- Director: Orthodontic and Prosthodontic Interaction (Summer)
- Influence of growth hormone and somatomedin on craniofacial growth.
- Relationship between nasopharyngeal function and craniofacial growth.
- 1-97 to 6-98 Co-Investigator of an American Association of Orthodontists Foundation General Biomedical Research Award Grant with Dr. Jeffrey Nickel (PI), Drs. Laura Iwasaki, James Haack, Richard Reinhardt, Mark Beatty, and Michael McNally. "Concentrations and distribution of IL-1 alpha, IL-6, TNF-alpha, and TGF-beta cytokines during orthodontic tooth movement,"
- 5-01 to 12-02 Principal Investigator of an American Association of Orthodontists Foundation Grant to Support Orthodontic Education Program Research, $2,200.00
- 5-00 to 12-01 Principal Investigator of an American Association of Orthodontists Foundation Grant to Support Orthodontic Education Program Research, $1,200.00
- Li KW, Petro TM, Spalding PM, 1996: The effect of dietary protein deficiency and realimentation on serum growth hormone and insulin-like growth factor-I in growing mice. Nutrition Research 16():1211-1223.
- Stockstill J, Bowley J, Dunning D, Spalding P, Stafford K, Erickson L, 1998: Prevalence of temporomandibular disorders (TMD) in children based on physical signs. J Dent Child 65(6):459-46.http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9883320
- Spalding PM: Treatment of Class II malocclusions. Chapter in Textbook of Orthodontics, (ed) Samir Bishara, Mosby, Inc., St. Louis. In Press.
- Nickel JC, Yao P, Spalding PM, Iwasaki LR: Validated numerical modeling of the effects of orthodontic and orthognathic surgical treatment on TMJ loads and muscle forces in humans. Am j Ortho Dentofacial Orthop 2002, Jan 121(1):73-83. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11786875
- Spalding PM, Bradley RE: Commercialization of dental education: have we gone too far? J AM Coll Dent 2006 Fall; 73(3):30-35. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17477216
- Department of Adult Restorative Dentistry
Department of Dental Hygiene
- Department of Growth & Development
- Department of Oral Biology
Department of Surgical Specialties