Thyagaseely (Sheela) Premaraj, BDS, PhD
UNMC College of Dentistry
40th and Holdrege
Lincoln, NE 68583-0740
Telephone: (402) 472-1118
Fax: (402) 472-5290
- BDS (Hons), University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka
- Diploma in Medical Microbiology, Postgraduate Institute of Medicine, University of Colombo, Sri Lanka
- PhD, Anaerobic Bacteriology, Institute of Anaerobic Bacteriology, Gifu University School of Medicine, Gifu University, Japan
- Certificate in Orthodontics, University of Nebraska Medical Center College of Dentistry
- ORT 588 Orthodontic Concepts II, Course Director
- ORT 590 Orthodontic Technique, Course Director
- PG Principles of Mechanics/Orthodontic Technique: Instructor
- PG Cephalometrics: Instructor
- Postgraduate program research projects: Instructor
- Critical Review of Current Literature: Instructor
- Clinical Orthodontic Seminars: Instructor
- Anaerobic Bacteriology
- Molecular Microbiology, Oral Microbes, Gut Microbes
- Mechanical Loading Responses to Periodontal Ligament Cells
- Premaraj. S, I. Souza, T. Premaraj, Mechanical loading activates beta-catenin signaling in periodontal ligament cells, The Angle Orthodontist, 2011 81(4) 592-9
- Xia Q, Yu Z, Premaraj T, Williams T, Morrison M, Real time PCR and PCR-DGGE analyses of stool microbiomes from infants fed human breast milk, infant formula, or formula with added fructo-oligosaccharides. Reproduction, Nutrition and Development, 2006: 46: S122.
- Leys EJ, Premaraj T, Rumpf R, Griffin AL, Bacteroides forsythus strain ATCC 43037 16S-23S Intergenic spacer region, complete sequence NCBI nucleotide sequence 2002: AF466818.
- Amano A, Premaraj T, Kuboniwa M, Nakagawa I, Shizukushi S, Morisaki I, Hamada S, Altered Antigenicity in Periodontitis Patients and Decreased Adhesion of Porphyromonas Gingivalis by Environmental Temperature Stress. Oral Microbiol Immunol 2001: 16: 124-128.
- Premaraj T, Kato N, Fukui K, Kato H, Watanabe K, Use of PCR and Sodium Dodecyl Sulphate Polyacrylamide Gel Electrophoresis Techniques for Differentiation of Prevotella Intermedia Sensu Stricto and Prevotella Nigrescens. J Clin Microbiol 1999: 37: 1057-1061.
- Fukui K, Premaraj T, Kato N, Kato H, Watanabe K, Tatematsu N. Incidence of Prevotella intermedia and Prevotella nigrescens carriage among family members with sub clinical periodontal disease. Japanese Journal of the Association for Anaerobic Infection. 1999; 29:87-94
- Fukui K, Kato N, Premaraj T, Kato H, Watanabe K and Tatematsu N. Application of PCR ribotyping to Prevotella intermedia/ nigrescens and intra-familial transmission. Proceedings of the annual meeting of the Japanese Association for Anaerobic infections research; ISSN -09 13-3798; 1999:28; 64-69
- J Stengle, L Talluri, I Souza, T Premaraj, S Premaraj, Prostaglandin E2 Activates Beta-Catenin Signaling in Periodontal Ligament (PDL) Cells, J Dent Res, 89 (Spec Iss B): 3748, 2010.
- S Premaraj, I Souza, L Talluri, M Guerrero, J Barta, T Premaraj, Mechanical Strain Activates Beta-catenin Signaling in Periodontal Ligament (PDL) Cells, J Dent Res, 89 (Spec Iss A): 1294, 2010
- T Premaraj, D Defay, K Vig, S Shanker, FM Beck, AR Firestone, Reliability and Validity of Orthognathic Quality of Life Questionnaire in American Population, J Dent Res, 86 (Spec Iss A): 0474, 2007.
- D Defay, T Premaraj, A Firestone, K Vig, S Shanker, FM Beck, Reliability and Validity of Patient Interview Form, J Dent Res, 86 (Spec Iss A): 2765, 2007.
- Xia, Q, Z. Yu, T. Premaraj, T. Williams, and M. Morrison. Real-time PCR and PCR-DGGE analyses of stool microbiomes from infants fed human breast milk, infant formula, or formula with added fructo-oligosaccharides. Fifth RRI-INRA Gastrointestinal Tract Microbiology Symposium. Aberdeen, Scotland, UK [Refereed] (Published), 2006.
- T Premaraj, C Igboin, AL Griffen, EJ Leys, Quantitation of Periodontal Pathogens by Real Time PCR, J Dent Res, 83 (Spec Iss A): 3666, 2004.
- S. Premaraj, I. Souza, T. Premaraj, Molecular mechanisms of Tooth movement: Emerging concepts, Paper presented at the 87th Congress of the European Orthodontic Society, June 19-23, 2011, Istanbul, Turkey.
- T. Premaraj, I. Souza, L. Talluri, M. Guerrero, J. Barta and S. Premaraj, Mechanical Strain Activates Beta- catenin signaling in Periodontal ligament (PDL) Cells, American Association of Orthodontists Meeting, Washington, DC, May 2010
- Thyagaseely Premaraj, Zhongtang Yu and Mark Morrison, Investigating the cellulolytic potential of Ruminococcus callidus isolated from human intestinal tract, DARPA Intestinal Fortitude Meeting, Arlington, Virginia, June 21, 2006.
- Qing Xia, Zhongtang Yu, Thyagaseely Premaraj, Timberly Williams, and Mark Morrison, Real-time PCR and PCR-DGGE analyses of stool microbiomes from infants fed human breast milk, infant formula, or formula with added fructo-oligosaccharides. Abstract presented at the RRI-INRA conference, Scotland, June 2006.
- T. Premaraj, N. Nakagawa and S. Hamada, Porphyromonas gingivalis fimbrial binding sites of Extracellular matrix protein fibronectin, Poster presented at the Annual Sessions of the Japanese Society for Microbiology, Osaka, Japan, December 2000.
- T. Premaraj, N. Kato, K. Kato and K. Watanabe, Discrepancies between SDS - PAGE and PCR techniques on the differentiation of Prevotella intermedia and Prevotella nigrescens, 77 th General sessions of IADR; Vancouver, March 1998
- T. Premaraj, N. Kato and K. Watanabe, SDS- PAGE and commercial kit identification of P. intermedia and P. nigrescens, Presented at the Annual Sessions of the Japanese Society for Microbiology, Nagoya, Japan, June 1999
- T. Premaraj and L. Wijeyeweera, Compliance with cross infection control practices among Sri Lankan Dental Surgeons, Presented at the Annual Scientific sessions of the Sri Lanka Dental Association, Kandy, Sri Lanka, June 1994
- T. Premaraj and B.R.R.N. Mendis, Smoking, smokeless tobacco use and alcohol consumption in 62 histologically diagnosed oral leukoplakia patients, Presented at the Annual sessions of the Sri Lanka Association for Advancement of Sciences, Colombo, Sri Lanka, December 1992.
American Association of Orthodontists
International Association of Dental Research
American Society of Microbiology
American Dental Association/Nebraska Dental Association
Midwest Society of Orthodontists
Sri Lanka Dental Association
- Department of Adult Restorative Dentistry
Department of Dental Hygiene
- Department of Growth & Development
- Department of Oral Biology
- Department of Surgical Specialties