Medical Student Education
Medical students participate in otolaryngology in two clinical experiences as well as on an elective basis.
Ambulatory Medicine Rotation
Students may elect to participate in otolaryngology one or more half days a week for a period of one month. During this time the student is assigned to a resident in the ENT Clinic and participates in all activities and patient care.
Third year medical students may elect to spend one or two weeks in ENT. Each student is assigned to a resident.
M3 Surgical Rotation:
- The rotation begins Monday morning with the7 A.M. Head and Neck Tumor Board, held in the McWhorter Room, UMA 3570. Students should report to the chief resident.
- (Should the Tumor Board be canceled, students should request that the Department of Otolaryngology- Head and Neck Surgery offices page the chief resident.)
- Students must register, and pick up a student syllabus, on Monday in the Department of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery, UH 3199C. Please contact Jayson DeHaai at 402-559-7005.
Fourth-year medical students may elect to spend an entire four-week period in otolaryngology, participating in medical and surgical activities, patient care and, if desired, research projects.
M4 Otolaryngology Clerkship:
- Monthly rotations
Student Limit: 4 at UNMC
1 or 2 at VA Hospital by arrangement
Semester Hours: 4
For information, call Jayson DeHaai at 402-559-7005.
- The student is closely involved with all facets of otolaryngology. Evaluation of patients, diagnostic considerations, and management approaches are emphasized.
- The student participates in all activities of the department including clinical responsibilities, operations and formal teaching exercises.
- The student is expected to be present for both morning and evening rounds as well as all scheduled clinics and teaching conferences.
- Patient care and responsibility during the elective will depend upon the available material as well as the student's interest and initiative. If a student is interested in a specific case, he/she should tell the resident who will assist him/her in its evaluation.
- NOTE: One week of the clerkship may be spent at the VA ENT clinic and operating room with the other three weeks at UNMC
52-670 Off-Campus Elective:
- Periods offered: By arrangement
Student limits: By arrangement
Semester hours: 4
- The Student may choose to spend elective time in otolaryngology off-campus. Opportunities should be discussed and arranged with the approval of the otolaryngology staff.