University of Texas
- Golden Apple/Hirschmann Prize, 2002 and 2007
- M2 Golden Apple, 2008
- UNMC Award for Distinguished Teaching, 2004
- Alvin Earle Outstanding Health Science Educator Award, 2001
- Basic Science Outstanding Teacher Award, 1996 and 2006
- Member, UNMC Faculty Senate
- Chair, UNMC Faculty Senate Outcomes Assessment Committee Chair, Scholastic Evaluation Committee, UNMC College of Medicine
Dr. Binhammer’s major activity in the department is teaching. He is co-director of the Structure and Development Core and director of the Neurosciences Core for M1 students. He is also an instructor in the human anatomy courses for PA and PT students, facilitator for PBL case studies in many M1 and M2 cores, director of senior electives in anatomy including writing of PBL cases, and instructor in neuro in a summer remediation program. His many awards, including those listed above, are evidence that his teaching efforts have been recognized by his peers as well as his students.
Dr. Binhammer has recently been involved in research on a newly described intrathecal ligament in the spinal canal. Probably derived from the denticulate ligament, it could tether some dorsal roots and might be involved in back pain experienced by astronauts in microgravity.
- Kershner DE, Binhammer RT. Intrathecal ligaments and nerve root tension: possible sources of lumbar pain during spaceflight. Aviat Space Environ Med 75:354-358, 2004.
- Kershner DE, Binhammer RT. Lumbar intrathecal ligaments. Clinical Anatomy 15:82-87, 2002.
- Binhammer RT. CSF Anatomy with Emphasis on Relations to Nasal Cavity and Labyrinthine Fluids. ENT Journal 71:292-299, 1992.
- Earle AM, Binhammer RT, Rodriguez-Sierra JF. Implementation of the GPEP Report: IV. Small group discussion in neuroanatomy; The second Year. Anat Rec 220:33A, 1988.
- Crafts RC, Binhammer RT. A Guide to a Regional Dissection and Study of the Human Body; 4th Edition; J. Wiley and Sons, 1979.
- Binhammer RT. Effect of increased endogenous gonadotrophin upon testes of irradiated immature and mature rats. Radiation Research 30:676-686, 1967.
- Binhammer RT. Studies in rats of the “early disease” of parabiosis intoxication. Transplantation 5:580-588, 1967.