PhD - Columbia University 1988
URL: Lab webpage
- 20 years experience teaching Neuroscience to medical students
- Co-Director of the M1 Neuroscience Core, 2000-2002
- M1 Golden Apple Award, 1995
- M1 Golden Apple Award, 1997
- Alvin Earle Outstanding Health Science Educator Award, 2001
Dr. Norgren's research is currently focused on the use of nonhuman primate genomics to better understand human genetic disease. Work in the Norgren Laboratory resulted in a novel approach to the production of the Rhesus Macaque GeneChip, a device for measuring the expression of tens of thousands of genes at the same time. You can read more about how the rhesus genechip was invented here: "Novel approach results in first-ever rhesus macaque whole-genome array". Ongoing projects include a new assembly and annotation of the rhesus genome in collaboration with Drs. Aleksey Zimin, James Yorke and other investigators. This work was recently highlighted in the cover story for the November issue of Genome Technology: 'The Other Primates'. For more information on current research in the Norgren Lab check out the Lab webpage.
- Research Career Development Award (KO4), The National Institutes of Health, 1995
- Distinguished Scientist Award, University of Nebraska Medical Center, 2008
- A new reference rhesus macaque genome for NextGen mRNA sequence expression analysis and exome variant studies
31st Annual Symposium on Nonhuman Primate Models for AIDS, Atlanta, GA, November 3, 2013
- De novo assembly of the rhesus macaque transcriptome from NextGen mRNA sequences
Fifth International Conference on Primate Genomics at Houston TX, April 19th 2012
Rhesus macaque genomics
Nebraska Center for Virology, University of Nebraska at Lincoln, April 6, 2012
- Limitations of Automated Annotation Software When Used with Draft Genomic Assemblies
9th Annual Rocky Mountain Bioinformatics Conference, December 9th 2011
- Zimin, A. V., Cornish, A. S., Maudhoo, M.D., Gibbs, R. M. Zhang, X., Pandey, S., Meehan, D. T.,Wipfler, K., Bosinger, S. E., Johnson, Z. P., Tharp, G. K., Marcais, G., Roberts, M., Ferguson, B., Fox, H., Treangen, T., Salzberg, S. L., Yorke, J. A. and Norgren, R. B. (2014) A new rhesus macaque assembly and annotation for next-generation sequencing analyses. Biology Direct, 9:20.
- Maudhoo, M. D., Ren, D., Gradnigo, J. S. Gibbs, R. M., Lubker, A. C., Moriyama, E. N., French, J. A. and Norgren, R. B. (2014) De novo assembly of the common marmoset transcriptome from NextGen mRNA sequences. GigaScience, 3:14.
- Sandler, N. G., Bosinger, S. E., Estes J. D., Zhu, R. T. R., Tharp, G. K., Boritz, E., Levin, D., Wijeyesinghe, S., Makamdop, K. N., Del Prete G. Q., Hill, B. J., Timmer, J. K., Reiss E., Darko, S., Contijoch, E., Todd, J. P., Silvestri, G., Nason, M., Norgren, R. B. , Keele, B. F., Rao, S., Langer, J. A., Lifson, J. D., Schreiber, G. and Douek, D. C. (2014) Type I IFN responses in rhesus macaques prevent SIV transmission and slow disease progression. Nature, 51: 601-605.
- Norgren, R. B. (2013) Improving genome assemblies and annotations for nonhuman primates. ILAR J. 54: 144-153.
- Zhang, X., Goodsell, J. and Norgren R. B. (2012) Limitations of the rhesus macaque draft genome assembly and annotation. BMC Genomics, 13:206
- Norgren, R. B. (2012) Using NextGen sequencing to identify the molecular basis for genetic disease: an evolutionary perspective. Methods in Next Generation Sequencing. 1: 1-9.
- Duan, F. Pauley, M. A., Spindel, E. R., Zhang, L. and Norgren R. B. (2010) Large scale analysis of positional effects of single-base mismatches on microarray gene expression data. BioData Mining, 3:2
- Meehan, D.T., Zink, M.A., Mahlen, M., Nelson, M., Sanger, W.G., Mitalipov, S.M., Wolf, D.P., Ouellettte, M.M., Norgren, R.B. (2008) Gene targeting in adult rhesus macaque fibroblasts. BMC Biotechnol, 8:31.
- Duan, F., Spindel, E.R., Li, Y-H and Norgren, R.B. (2007) Intercenter reliability and validity of the rhesus macaque GeneChip. BMC Genomics, 8:61.
- Ferguson, B., Street, S.L., Wright, H., Pearson, C., Jia, Y., Thompson, S.L., Allibone, P., Dubay, C.J., Spindel, E. and Norgren, R.B. (2007) Single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) distinguish Indian-origin and Chinese-origin rhesus macaques (Macaca mulatta). BMC Genomics, 8:44.
- Norgren, R.B. (2006) Expression arrays for macaque monkeys. Transplantation Reviews, 20: 115-120.
- Norgren, R.B. (2006) Genetic modification of somatic cells for producing animal models and re-engineering of cells for transplantation. Reproduction, Fertility and Development, 20: 115-120.
- Spindel, E.R., Pauley, M.A., Jia,Y., Gravett, C.,Thompson, S., Boyle, N., Ojeda, S.R., and Norgren, R.B. (2005) Leveraging human genomic information to identify nonhuman primate sequences for expression array development, BMC Genomics, 6:160.