Specific Pathogen Free Rederivation of Dirty Mice
- In conjunction with Comparative Medicine, the MGE Core Facility will perform procedures to clean a strain of mice from viral infections through rederivation using the 4230 Quarantine Facility.
- This procedure will include super-ovulation, mating and collecting fertilized 1-cell embryos, using mice supplied by the Investigator.
- Females are super-ovulated and bred to males of the line to be rederived. Embryos are collected and pooled, washed to further reduce the risk of pathogen transfer, and then surgically transferred, using aseptic technique, into the reproductive tract of pseudopregnant SPF females. Upon weaning of the pups, Comparative Medicine will submit surrogate dams for diagnostic testing, including screens for bacterial and viral pathogens.
- For each line to be rederived, the Investigator should provide 10 proven breeder males, 8-9 weeks of age and 10 females, 4-8 weeks of age.
- The MGECF and CompMed staff will perform the hormone injections, breeding setup, embryo harvest, washes and embryo transfers.
- All animal care costs and per diem are the responsibility of the Investigator.
Centers & Core Facilities
Center for Bioinformatics and Systems Biology
- DNA Sequencing
- Electron Microscopy
Experimental Irradiation Facility
Mouse Genome Engineering Core
- Starting a Project
- Center for Bioinformatics and Systems Biology
Advanced Anatomy Laboratory
- Research Labs