It is the intention of UNMC Student Health to provide knowledge of, and take precautions to prevent, communicable diseases for students preparing to enter the health care profession. Immunizations are an extremely important part of this effort for students during their tenure at UNMC and as future medical care providers. Much of what health care students and professionals do in the health care setting comes under federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) guidelines. Under these guidelines, and those set forth by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), there are certain sets of immunizations that are required of all healthcare workers.
UNMC Student Health, along with The Nebraska Medical Center's Healthcare Epidemiology Department, has put in place an immunization policy which adheres to the recommended guidelines set forth by the CDC for healthcare workers (http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00050577.htm).
Specifically, all UNMC students are required to provide evidence of vaccination against, or immunity to, the following:
- rubeola (measles)
- polio (if traveling outside of the Western Hemisphere)
- varicella (chicken pox)
- tuberculosis (required annually)
- hepatitis B
- influenza immunization is strongly recommended for all students (and is required for all Nursing Students).
These immunization requirements work towards ensuring the health and safety across the entire UNMC community of patients, faculty, students, and visitors.
Immunization Requirements for New Students
You must fill out completely the Required Student Immunization Form (2 pages). You must also either: a) have the form signed by a health care provider; or b) provide backup documentation. This form must be faxed or turned in to Student Health at the address below. Note the table below specifying UNMC's immunization requirements. Please pay close attention to the requirements for each disease/immunization listed.
You will be unable to register for classes until Student Health has received all required immunization information. Please call Student Health at 402-559-5158 or 402-559-5691 with any questions or concerns.
Immunization Requirements for Returning Students
If you are a returning student, you may only need to get your annual TB test.
To clarify, there are two stages of Tuberculosis testing. As a returning student, you should be in the second group described below:
- TWO STEP TEST: The first time a person receives the TB test, he or she must complete a two-step test. (Step 1: Receive a PPD and have it read 48-72 hours later; Step 2: Seven days after first PPD, receive another PPD and have it read 48-72 hours later)
- ONE STEP TEST: After receiving the two-step test (which you should have received previous to this year), the annual test is just a one-step test (Receive a PPD and have it read 48-72 hours later). If you have documentation that you have received the two-step test previously and have an uninterrupted history of annual testing, then you only need the one-step test within six months prior to registration.
With the above information in mind, if you have never been tested for TB, or you have been tested but do not have an uninterrupted history of annual testing, then you must do the two step test within six months prior to registration.
UNMC Student Health, 983075 Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE 68198-3075
UNMC Student Health Fax: 402-559-8118
- Degree Programs
Vacation and Leave Policy
- Summer Teaching Institute