The government relations office assists administration, faculty, staff and students in communicating and arranging meetings with members of the Nebraska Congressional delegation and state and local government officials. The office provides the following services:
- Providing background information on legislative, regulatory and policy issues being considered at the state and federal levels.
- Arranging appointments for faculty, students and staff members with the Nebraska Congressional delegation and their staffs, state senators and their staffs, and other state and federal agency officials.
- Providing protocols and communication tips to assist in contacting elected officials.
- Making available information on issues of importance to the UNMC missions.
- Serving as the primary liaison and representative for the university at meetings with elected officials and their staffs.
Maintaining continuous communication between the University and government officials is an important part of keeping them informed about potential impacts of legislative and regulatory proposals and also helps public-policy makers understand the contributions that UNMC and universities make to the state and nation.