Thomas R. Porter, M.D.
Theodore F. Hubbard Distinguished Chair of Cardiology
Professor, Internal Medicine
Division of Cardiology
982265 Nebraska Medical Center
Omaha, NE 68198-2265
Cardiovascular Computed Tomography
Clinic Practice Location:
Durham Outpatient Center
Oakview Medical Center
For Appointment Call (402)559-8888
Toll Free 1-800-97-HEART (1-800-974-3278)
The Nebraska Medical Center
Methodist Health Hospital
MD Imaging (Fort Lauderdale, FL)
Cardiovascular Computed Tomography Level I, II, III, 2009
Duke University Medical Center (Durham, NC)
Fellow - Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance Fellowship, 2006-2007
University of Nebraska Medical Center (Omaha, NE)
Doctorate - Medicine, 1984
Medical College of Virginia (Richmond, VA)
Resident - Internal Medicine, 1987
Fellow - Medicine, 1991
Dr. Porter specializes in echocardiography and holds the titles of Professor of Medicine and "Theodore F. Hubbard Distinguished Chair of Cardiology." He has served as Director of the Non-invasive Cardiology Laboratory since 2002. Dr. Porter is consistently selected as one of the "best teachers" in Internal Medicine at UNMC. He has been named a "Best Doctor in the Country" in 2003,2005, 2006. Dr. Porter is a member of Alpha Omega Alpha (national medical honorary) and Phi Beta Kappa (national scholastic honorary). Dr. Porter is internationally recognized for his research, and his work is supported by many governmental and private grant funding. Dr. Porter holds 18 patents as a result of his work.
Dr. Porter is the author of 127 publications, 69 abstracts and 19 book chapters. Dr. Porter is invited to present on his research to scientific groups around the world. Dr. Porter is a Fellow of the American College of Cardiology.
- Tsutsui JM, Mukherjee S, Elhendy A, Xie F, Lyden ER, O'Leary E, McGrain AC, Porter TR. Value of Dobutamine Stress Myocardial Contrast Perfusion Echocardiography in Patients with Advanced Liver Disease. Liver Transplantation 2006;12:592-599.
- Porter TR, Xie F, Knapp D, Iversen P, Marky LA, Tsutsui JM, Maiti S, Lof J, Radio S, Kipshidze NN. Targeted Vascular Delivery of Antisense Molecules Using Intravenous Microbubbles. Cardiovasc Revasc Med 2006;7:25-33.
- Klein AL, Grimm RA, Jasper SE, Murray RD, Apperson-Hansen C, Lieber EA, Black IW, Davidoff R, Erbel R, Halperin JL, Orsinelli DA, Porter TR, Stoddard MF. "Efficacy of transesophageal echocardiography-guided cardioversion of patients with atrial fibrillation at 6 months: a randomized controlled trial." Am Heart J 2006;151:380-9.
- Porter TR, Airey K, Quader M. Mitral valve endocarditis presenting as complete heart block. Tex Heart Inst J 2006;33:100-1.
- Tsutsui JM, Xie F, Johanning J, Lof J, Cory B, Thomas L, Matsunaga T, Unger E, Porter TR. Treatment of Deeply Located Acute Intravascular Thrombi with Low Frequency Guided Ultrasound and Intravenous Microbubbles. J Ultrasound Med 2006;25:1161-8.
- Elhendy A, Porter TR. Myocardial contrast quantitation during stress echocardiography. Eur J Echocardiogr 2006;7:185-6.
- Elhendy A, Tsutusi JM, O'Leary EL, Xie F, Majeed F, Porter TR. Evaluation of restenosis and extent of coronary artery disease in patients with previous percutaneous coronary interventions by dobutamine stress real-time myocardial contrast perfusion imaging. Heart 2006;92:1480-3.
- Dijkmans PA, Senior R, Becher H, Porter TR, Wei K, Visser CA, Kamp O. Myocardial Contrast Echocardiography Evolving as a Clinically Feasible Technique for Accurate, Rapid, and Safe Assessment of Myocardial Perfusion. The Evidence So Far. J Am Coll Cardiol 2006;48:2168-2177.
- Elhendy A, Tsutsui JM, O'Leary EL, Xie F, Porter TR. Noninvasive diagnosis of coronary artery bypass graft disease by dobutamine stress real-time myocardial contrast perfusion imaging. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 2006;19:1482-1487.
- Majeed F, Porter TR, Tarantolo S, Duhachek-Stapelman A, Xie F, Elhendy A. Carcinoid crisis and reversible right ventricular dysfunction after embolization in untreated carcinoid syndrome. Eur J Echocardiogr 2006;
- Xie F, Tsutsui JM, Gao L, Zucker IH, Porter TR. Interactions of Transthoracic Ultrasound and Intravenous Microbubbles with Cardiac Mechanoreceptors. Ultrasound in Med & Bio 2007;33:136-144.
- Anderson D, Tsutsui JM, Xie, Radio S, Porter TR. The Role of Complement in the Adherence of Microbubbles to Dysfunctional Arterial Endothelium and Atherosclerotic Plaque. Cardiovasc Res 2007;73:597-606.
- Porter TR. Cardiovascular imaging of remote myocardial ischemia: detecting a molecular trace of evidence left behind. Circulation 2007;115:292-3.
- Xie F, Hankins J, Mahrous H, Porter TR. Detection of Coronary Artery Disease with a Continuous Infusion of Definity Ultrasound Contrast during Adenosine Stress Real Time Perfusion Echocardiography. Echocardiography 2007
Faculty & Staff
- Fellowship Program
- Patient Care
- Research Activities