Sleep Medicine Fellowship Program
The Sleep Medicine Fellowship Program at the University of Nebraska Medical Center is a one-year ACGME-accredited program that produces one Sleep Medicine specialist per year.
Sleep is a widespread biologic phenomenon and an integral part of human existence. It is an important function of the brain, occupying about a third of each day, and has a profound impact on the remaining two-thirds of the day that is spent in wakefulness. Sleep disorders can lead to serious consequences and illnesses including cardiovascular morbidities, family and social disharmony and motor vehicle accidents.
The Sleep Medicine department deals with all kinds of sleep problems. The service is administered under the Division of Pulmonary, Critical Care, Sleep and Allergy of the Internal Medicine Department. The Sleep Medicine program is supported by the Graduate Medical Education Division of the University of Nebraska. Sleep Medicine is a multidisciplinary practice.
Clinical training occurs at The Nebraska Medical Center and the Children's Hospital of Omaha. The fellows receive ample exposure to evaluating and managing both adult and pediatric patients with all types of sleep disorders. By the end of their fellowship training, the fellows will have developed proficiency in interpreting sleep studies. Didactics are an integral part of the education and the fellows will have core curriculum lectures, case conferences, and journal clubs.
- Dr. Sabin R. Bista, Assistant Professor, Sleep Medicine Program Director
- Dr. Teri J. Barkoukis, Professor of Medicine
- Dr. Michael O. Summers, Assistant Professor, Director of The Sleep Disorders Center at The Nebraska Medical Center
- Dr. Brett Kuhn, Associate Professor, Children's Hospital Pediatric Sleep Medicine
- Dr. Casey Burg, Children's Hospital Pediatric Sleep Medicine Specialist
- Dr. Jill Poole, Associate Professor, Pulmonary, Critical Care, Sleep & Allergy Division
- Dr. Najib Murr, Assistant Professor, Neurological Sciences
Sleep Medicine Links
- Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine Fellowship
- Sleep Medicine Fellowship
- Resident Education
- Student Education
- Patient Care
Allergy Patient Care
- Kristina Bailey Lab
Tricia LeVan Lab
Jill Poole Lab
Stephen I. Rennard Lab
- Joseph H. Sisson Lab
- Todd A. Wyatt Lab
- Research Opportunities
Open Faculty Positions