Lost eGrid Card

Replacing a Lost eGrid Card

Replacing lost eGrid cards for secured remote access is treated like a new card request.

Please submit your request through the following link and indicate in the comments section "lost grid card".  There will be a replacement processing fee charged to the cost center provided.

Online Form:  Replacement for a Lost Grid Card 

Once the request is processed, you will receive an email for ITS System Access with instructions on how to view, print and activate your replacement eGrid card.