UNMC Information Technology Services uses many tools to help protect your computer and the campus network from becoming infected; similar to getting a flu shot. Follow these extra steps to help stop the spread of computer viruses.
- Do not respond to an email (or click on a link) that asks you to 'validate your information'; then asks for IDs, passwords and other sensitive information. UNMC Information Technology Services will not ask for this information in an email.
- Do not click on unknown links or attachments.
- Do not enter information in a pop-up.
- Emails with poor spelling and grammar are clues to scams; delete them.
- If the actual URL does not match the text; don't click it. (Hover over the URL too see where it is taking you)
- Do not send personal information in an email or through an unsecured website. Only enter sensitive data IF you trust the website AND if it has a lock icon in the URL.
- Call the ITS help desk (9-7700) right away if you suspect there is a virus on your computer.