"Reduced energy consumption and other efficiency efforts – which will result in a reduction of UNMC’s expenditures – are necessary to the long-term health of this institution. UNMC’s commitment to sustainability has never been greater, and I urge you to participate in this important, long-term effort."
-UNMC Chancellor Harold M. Maurer, M.D.
UNMC’s mission is to improve the health of Nebraska through premier educational programs, innovative research, the highest quality patient care, and outreach to underserved populations. Our organizational commitment to health is now driving our commitment to undertake a concerted LiveGreen initiative focused on reduced energy consumption and other conservation and efficiency efforts.
UNMC LiveGreen will lead these efforts to positively impact community health good environmental practices and decisions. The work of UNMC LiveGreen will also help us achieve our goals related to reductions in expenditures – we’ve set an organizational goal to reduce our utility costs by 25 percent by 2015.
We’re a team of over 70 volunteers that are passionate about improving UNMC’s triple bottom line; making enhancements that are good for our budget, our people and the planet. It’s a win-win-win.
LiveGreen's Role and Guiding Principles are as follows:
- Identify, prioritize, and implement initiatives focused on operational improvements or promoting environmental behaviors among the UNMC community, which lead to the efficient use of energy and resources on campus.
- All initiatives should satisfy the following:
- reduce utility or resource management costs
- improve the organization’s environmental impact
- establish an overall better place to work, be educated, and receive care
- Pursue initiatives that support the mission of UNMC to improve community health in Nebraska, as well as engage and actively involve UNMC LiveGreen volunteers.
- Monitor and communicate the outcomes of the team’s initiatives.
- Foster an organizational culture that supports energy and resource conservation.