UNMC LiveGreen launched a fume-hood sash campaign on campus to become more environmentally sound and energy efficient.
The small request:
- Please close the sashes on your fume hoods when they are not in use.
- Closing the sashes helps save energy by limiting the amount of conditioned (heated, cooled, humidified) air that exits the building (when the sash is left open it’s like leaving a window open with a box fan blowing air outside. Now imagine trying to heat or cool your home with all the windows open?!?
- This simple action of closing the fume hoods when not in use allows the ACH in the lab to be reduced, which results in significant energy savings and prevents the fume hoods from alarming at night and disturbing your neighbors that may be working late.
- By saving energy you are helping to reduce UNMC’s impact on the environment.
- To put this in perspective, the two research towers currently consume around $3 million a year in energy costs. By shutting fume hood sashes and allowing the ACH to be reduced (especially during unoccupied times), UNMC will save an estimated $700,000 - $900,000 annually in “wasted” energy.
- Shutting the sash helps to promote safety in research labs.