MIS Research Fellowship Position (currently filled for 2013-14)
Our Advanced Laparoscopic Research Fellowship is one-year, paid fellowship. The Fellowship typically starts July 1 and is completed June 30 of the following year. The fellow will be expected to perform research in the areas of: Foregut, Bariatrics, Robotics, Solid Organ and Colorectal surgical training. This is not an accredited Fellowship.
There is limited exposure to clinical and surgical procedures, approximately 50 procedures will be completed. Minimally Invasive operative techniques that will be learned include; Heller Myotomy, Nissen, Lap Gastric Bypass, adjustable Lap Banding, Lap Solid Organ, Lap Colon, Lap Common Bile Duct, Lap Esophagectomy, Lap Hernia Repair. These techniques will be performed in the newly opening Minimally Invasive equipped operating rooms. Salary is contingent upon level and experience based on graduate medical education parameters.
RESEARCH FELLOW REQUIREMENTS:
- Participation in the department’s Journal Club – the 1st Wednesday of the month
- Assist in instructing General Surgery Resident MIS wet lab sessions and Surgeon Courses
- Assist in setting up Simulation sessions
- Participation in clinical research.
- Participation in all non-clinical research surgeries.
- Publication requirement will consist of 4-5 abstracts and 5-10 journal publications.
- Participation in General Surgery Grand Rounds every Wednesday morning.
- Currently in the US
- Current J1 VISA or equivalent.
- Currently enrolled in a US residency program or completion of a foreign residency.
- Passage of USMLE Steps 1, step 2CK, and step 2CS
- Have taken USMLE step 3 before beginning the fellowship.