985815 Nebraska Medical Center
Omaha, NE 68198-5815
Phone: (402) 559-3338
CB Gurumurthy received his BVSC (DVM) from Bangalore Veterinary College, India and MVSC & PHD in Veterinary Virology from Indian Veterinary Research Institute with a Gold Medal distinction in MVSC. He received post-doctoral training in Cancer Biology and Mouse Molecular Genetics at Northwestern University, Chicago. He obtained a faculty position at the University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha in 2007 and since 2010 he serves as the Director of UNMC Mouse Genome Engineering Core Facility. He also has an Executive MBA degree, obtained from University of Nebraska at Omaha. His passion is genome engineering and technology development. With his experience both in traditional and advanced genetic engineering techniques, he is actively developing newer technologies for generation of genetically engineered animal models and developing widely-usable animal models for basic and drug discovery research.
BVSC (DVM), Bangalore Veterinary College, India, 1993
Ph.D, Indian Veterinary Research Institute, India, 2000
Executive MBA, University of Nebraska, Omaha, NE, USA, 2012
Research Interests and Projects
Genome engineering technologies that remained relatively unchanged for nearly 3 decades have taken on a new life, especially by the addition of CRISPR/Cas9 technology to the toolbox. With my training, experience and knowledge gained in designing and developing genetically engineered animal models, my laboratory focusses on the following three research areas:
- Development and improvement of transgenic and genome editing technologies.
During the recent couple years, in collaboration with Dr. Masato Ohtsuka, Tokai University Japan, our laboratory has developed several genome editing and transgenic technology tools such as PITT (Pronuclear Injection based Targeted Transgenesis), CRISPR-First;PITT-next, GONAD (Genome Editing via Oviductal Nucleaic Acids Delivery) and Easi-CRISPR. We are actively working on one of the biggest challenges of genome editing technologies; enhancing the insertion efficiency of repair DNA molecules using the CRISPR system.
- Development of versatile animal model resources and tools for a wide range of research areas.
We design and develop animal models for various biomedical research projects. Some examples of on-going projects that can generate widely usable animal model resources are 1) Reporter-Linked-Cre (RePliCre) mouse models using PITT-Plus technology and 2) Development of humanized animal models.
Selected Publications (within the last 5 years)
- Full list on Pubmed
- Gurumurthy CB, Grati M, Ohtsuka M, Schilit SL, Quadros RM, Liu XZ. CRISPR: a versatile tool for both forward and reverse genetics research. Human Genetics.2016; PMID: 27384229. [Abstract]
- Huang K, Zhang J, O'Neill KL, Gurumurthy CB, Quadros RM, Tu Y, Luo X. Cleavage by Caspase 8 and Mitochondrial Membrane Association Activate the BH3-only Protein Bid during TRAIL-induced Apoptosis. The Journal of Biological Chemistry. 2016; 291(22):11843-51. PMCID: PMC4882451. [Abstract]
- Sato M, Ohtsuka M, Watanabe S, and Gurumurthy CB: Nucleic Acids Delivery Methods for Genome Editing in Zygotes and Embryos: the Old, the New, and the Old-New. Biology Direct 2016; 11(1):16. PMCID: PMC4815204. [Article]
- Quadros R, Poluektova L, Gurumurthy CB: Simple and Reliable Genotyping Protocol for Mouse PrkdcSCID Mutation. J Immunol Methods. 2016 Feb 3. PMID: 26851521. [Abstract]
- Gurumurthy CB, Takahashi G, Wada K, Miura H, Sato M, Ohtsuka M. GONAD: A Novel CRISPR/Cas9 Genome Editing Method that Does Not Require Ex Vivo Handling of Embryos. Curr Protoc Hum Genet. 2016 Jan 1;88:15.8.1-15.8.12. doi: 10.1002/0471142905.hg1508s88. [Abstract]
- Miura H, Inoko H, Tanaka M, Nakaoka H, Kimura M, Gurumurthy CB, Sato M, Ohtsuka M. Assessment of Artificial MiRNA Architectures for Higher Knockdown Efficiencies without the Undesired Effects in Mice. PLoS ONE. 2015, 10(8): e0135919. [Article]
- Miura H, Gurumurthy CB, Sato T, Sato M, Ohtsuka M. CRISPR/Cas9-based generation of knockdown mice by intronic insertion of artificial microRNA using longer single-stranded DNA. Sci Rep. 2015, Aug 5; 5:12799. [Article]
- Takahashi G, Gurumurthy CB, Wada K, Miura H, Sato M and Ohtsuka M. GONAD: Genome-editing via Oviductal Nucleic Acids Delivery system: a novel microinjection independent genome engineering method in mice. Sci Rep. 2015 Jun 22; 5: 11406. [Article]
- Ohtsuka, M., Miura, H., Mochida, K., Hirose, M., Hasegawa, A., Ogura, A., Mizutani, R., Kimura, M., Isotani, A., Ikawa, M., Sato, M., Gurumurthy, CB. One-step generation of multiple transgenic mouse lines using an improved Pronuclear Injection-based Targeted Transgenesis (i-PITT). BMC Genomics. 2015,16. doi:10.1186/s12864-015-1432-1435. [Article]
- Gurumurthy CB, Joshi PS, Kurz SG, Ohtsuka M, Quadros RM, Harms DW, Lloyd KC. Validation of simple sequence length polymorphism regions of commonly used mouse strains for marker assisted speed congenics screening. Int J Genomics: 2015, 735845. [Article]
- Quadros RM, Harms DW, Ohtsuka M, Gurumurthy CB. Insertion of sequences at the original provirus integration site of mouse ROSA26 locus using the CRISPR/Cas9 system. FEBS Open Bio. 2015, 5: 191-197. [Article]
- Harms DW, Quadros RM, Seruggia D, Ohtsuka M, Takahashi G, Montoliu L, Gurumurthy CB. Mouse Genome Editing Using the CRISPR/Cas System. Curr Protoc Hum Genet. 2014, Editor. Board Jonathan Haines Al 83, 15.7.1–15.7.27. [Article]
- Sakamoto K, Gurumurthy CB Wagner KU. Generation of Conditional Knockout Mice. Methods Mol Biol. 2014, Vol. 1194; 1194:21-35. PubMed PMID: 25064096 [Abstract]
- Ohtsuka M, Miura H, Sato M, Kimura M, Inoko H, Gurumurthy CB. PITT: Pronuclear Injection-based Targeted Transgensis, a faithful non-biased transgene expression method in Mice. Exp Anim Tokyo. 2013, 61(5):489-502. [Article]
- Member of Association of Biomolecular Resource Facilities
- Member, Genetics Society of America
- Member of International Society for Transgenic Technologies
- Best Student Award, Indian Veterinary Research Institute
- Certificate of Business Excellence, ‘The Genius of Warren Buffet’ award
- Gold Medalist, Masters of Veterinary Medicine, Indian Veterinary Research Institute
- Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy (IMSA) Mentoring Award
- Silver U award, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE
- Welcome Trust, UK travel award, Genetic manipulation of embryonic stem cells