Brett R. Kuhn, PhD, C.BSM
985450 Nebraska Medical Center
Omaha, NE 68198-5450
Phone: (402) 559-6408
Brett R. Kuhn, PhD, C.BSM is a licensed psychologist in the Department of Psychology at the Munroe-Meyer Institute for Genetics and Rehabilitation and Associate Professor at MMI and in Pediatrics at the University of Nebraska Medical Center. Dr. Kuhn directs the Behavioral Sleep Medicine Clinic at the Children’s Sleep Disorders Center in Omaha. He is certified in behavioral sleep medicine (C.BSM) by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine. Dr. Kuhn’s research and clinical interests include pediatric sleep disorders, behavioral parent training (including Parent Child Interaction Therapy), elimination disorders, and disruptive behavior disorders. He has published more than 35 professional journal articles and book chapters on children's behavioral health issues. Dr. Kuhn co-edited Behavioral Treatments for Sleep Disorders: A comprehensive primer of Behavioral Sleep Medicine Interventions published by Academic Press. He also co-authored a popular press parenting book entitled The Toddler Owner's Manual: Operating Instructions, Troubleshooting Tips, and Advice on System Maintenance.
PhD, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK, 1992
BS, Psychology and Criminal Justice, Kearney State College, Kearney, NE, 1986
Psych 8550: Introduction to Therapeutic Techniques with Children & Adolescents, Department of Psychology, University of Nebraska-Omaha
Research Interests and Projects:
- Behavioral sleep medicine
- Empirically based and novel interventions for pediatric sleep disorders
- Behavioral parent training (including Parent Child Interaction Therapy)
- Elimination disorders
- Disruptive behavior disorders.
Selected Publications: (within the last 5 years)
- Burke, R. V., Kuhn, B. R., Peterson, J. L., Peterson, R. W., & Badura Brack, A. S. (2010). “Don’t kick me out!”: Day treatment for two preschool children with severe behavior problems. Clinical Case Studies, 9(1), 28-40.
- Berger, A. M., Kuhn, B.R.,Farr, L. A., Lynch, J. C., Agrawal, S., Chamberlain, J., et al. (2009). Behavioral therapy intervention trial to improve sleep quality and cancer-related fatigue. Psycho-Oncology, 18(6), 634-646.
- American Psychological Association (APA)
- APA Division 53, Child Clinical Psychology
- American Academy of Sleep Medicine (AASM)
- AASM Pediatric Section
- Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies (ABCT; formerly AABT)
- Association for Behavior Analysis (ABA)