Test name: Pregnancy Loss Microarray
Also known as: POC Array
Indications: Pregnancy loss at any gestational age
- A 180K SNP/oligo platform evaluates a pregnancy loss for small copy number changes that are undetectable by Prenatal Chromosome Analysis or Postnatal Chromosome Analysis
- Approximately 500 genes and chromosome regions are evaluated
- Reliably detects common causes of pregnancy loss including aneuploidy and microdeletion/microduplication syndromes in addition to loss of heterozygosity (LOH).
- Avoids tissue culture, eliminating the risk for culture failure
- Maternal cell contamination can usually be ruled out when maternal blood is provided with specimen
- Balanced chromosome arrangements and low level mosaicism are not detected with this test
Specimen requirements: Test kits are available – please contact the laboratory
Comprehensive results are best achieved when maternal* blood is analyzed in addition to POC tissue
- Fetal tissue: 1 cm2 in tissue culture media or phosphate buffered saline, or FFPE block
- Maternal blood* (peripheral): 2 ml maternal blood in sodium heparin tube (green top)
*If this patient’s pregnancy resulted from egg donation, send paternal blood and NOT maternal blood
- Tissue, paraffin embedded: 5-10 dissected cores from selected fetal tissue
Collect products of conception sample.
Fetal tissue: Collect 1 cm2 fetal tissue sample and place into sterile collection cup containing phosphate buffered saline. Preferred tissue sample sites include buttocks or thigh.
- If fetal tissue is not available placental villi can be utilized. Separate villi from maternal blood and deciduas to reduce the chance for maternal cell contamination.
- Place 1 cm2 placental villi into sterile collection cup containing phosphate buffered saline.
- If available, draw 2ml maternal blood in sodium heparin tube (green top). Use paternal blood if pregnancy resulted in egg donation.
CPT codes: 81229, 84311
Pricing: Contact the laboratory billing staff for current costs
Required forms: Pregnancy Loss Test Request Form
Other forms: Request for Pre-Authorization for Genetic Testing (for Pregnancy Loss)
Turn-around time: Results are typically available in 1 week