BILLING and CPT CODES
Client billing is the most efficient way to order testing from our laboratory.
This eliminates the need for you to provide patient billing and insurance information. This simplifies the ordering and testing process, and eliminates delays.
Call 402-559-5572 to set up a client account or for client-billing assistance.
If you wish to have our laboratory bill your patient's insurance, please check with your patient’s insurance provider to see if pre-authorization for genetic studies is required.
Verifying coverage requirements or obtaining pre-authorization PRIOR TO OR AT THE TIME OF SPECIMEN COLLECTION is increasingly required by insurance providers.
NOTE: Genetic testing is best covered by insurance when medical necessity is established. Genetic testing is considered medically necessary when all of the following are met:
1) The results of the test will assist in diagnosis; and
2) The result of the test will directly impact the treatment being delivered to the member; and
3) After history, physical examination, pedigree analysis, genetic counseling, and completion of conventional diagnostic studies, a definitive diagnosis remains uncertain.
Upon request, our laboratory will obtain preauthorization for your patient's genetic studies. In order to aid practitioners in this process, we have developed specimen- and diagnosis-specific forms that query the information required for the determination of coverage and preauthorization.
- Forms are available to assist with pre-authorization request.
- If the patient’s insurance will not cover genetic testing, please assist the patient in completing an Advance Beneficiary Notice of Noncoverage (ABN) [Medicare] or Self-Pay Waiver of Services [private insurance], and send it with the specimen.
- Please include an enlarged, legible copy of the front AND back of the patient’s insurance card with the test request form.
Call our billing team at 402-559-5070 (x3) with preauthorization questions.
MEDICARE & MEDICAID SERVICES
- Access Local Coverage Determination (LCD) for Cytogenetic Studies (provided by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services) for CMS Coverage Policy for Cytogenetic studies (L30487).
- Medicare Billing Policy for Hereditary Cancer Testing
NOTE: The Human Genetics Laboratory must bill hospitals for all Medicare hospital inpatient testing or for patients living in skilled nursing facilities (SNF).
For current codes, please reference individual test pages found within the Test Catalog.
ICD- CODES & DESCRIPTIONS
- Option 1:
Specimen Pickup, local area
- Option 2:
- Option 3:
- Option 4:
Toll free: 1-800-656-3937 x95070
Urgent calls: 402-679-1909
After hours pager: 402-888-0351
* NEW * Shipping Address:
Human Genetics Laboratory
UNMC Shipping & Receiving Dock
601 S. Saddle Creed Road
Omaha, NE 68106
Monday through Friday
Specimens accepted on all weekends and holidays.