Client billing is the most efficient way to order laboratory testing from HGL.
Client billing eliminates the need for you to provide patient billing and insurance information. This simplifies the ordering and testing process, and eliminates delays.
If you wish to have the laboratory bill insurance, please check with your patient’s insurance provider to see if pre-authorization for genetic studies is required.
Verifying coverage requirements or obtaining pre-authorization PRIOR TO OR AT THE TIME OF SPECIMEN COLLECTION is increasingly required by insurance providers.
NOTE: Genetic testing is best covered by insurance when medical necessity is established.
1) The results of the test will assist in diagnosis; and
2) The result of the test will directly impact the treatment being delivered to the member; and
3) After history, physical examination, pedigree analysis, genetic counseling, and completion of conventional diagnostic studies, a definitive diagnosis remains uncertain.
- FORMS are available to assist with pre-authorization request
- If the patient’s insurance will not cover genetic testing, please have the patient complete an
- Please include an enlarged, legible copy of the front AND back of the patient’s insurance card with the test request form.
MEDICARE & MEDICAID SERVICES
Access Local Coverage Determination (LCD) for Cytogenetic Studies (provided by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services) for CMS Coverage Policy for Cytogenetic studies (L30487).
NOTE: The Human Genetics Laboratory must bill hospitals for all Medicare hospital inpatient testing or for patients living in skilled nursing facilities (SNF).
For current codes, please reference individual test pages found in the Test Catalog.
Call 402-559-5699 for CPT code and insurance preauthorization assistance
Call 402-559-5572 to set up a client account or billing assistance
- Option 1:
Specimen Pickup, local area
- Option 2:
- Dr. Warren Sanger
- Dr. Bhavana J Dave
- Dr. R. Tanner Hagelstrom
- Option 3:
- Result Reporting
- Lab Genetic Counselor
- Supply Requests
- Test Kits
- Option 4:
- Dr. Bruce Buehler
- Dr. Richard Lutz
- Dr. Ann Haskins Olney
- Dr. Eric Rush
- Dr. Lois Starr
Toll free: 800-656-3937 x95070
Urgent calls: 402-679-1909
After hours pager: 402-888-0351
Human Genetics Laboratory
UNMC Shipping & Receiving Dock
668 South 41 Street
Omaha, NE 68105
Monday thru Friday
Specimens accepted on all weekends and holidays.