CLINICAL CYTOGENETICS FELLOWSHIP INFORMATION
UNFORTUNATELY, WE ARE NOT ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR 2015.
The Human Genetics Laboratory at MMI-UNMC offers a two-year fellowship program in clinical cytogenetics. This fellowship involves the processing and analysis of the chromosomes of various types of samples with the purpose of detecting and interpreting chromosomal abnormalities. Fellows who train for certification in clinical cytogenetics will participate in all aspects of sample preparation, analysis, and reporting, which will provide opportunities to acquire cases for their logbook. Fellows will be responsible for monthly cytogenetics case conferences and will attend the weekly clinical genetics case conferences within the division to enhance their teaching skills and encourage publication of highly interesting cases. Fellows will also develop an individualized research project, primarily translational in scope, based on the ongoing research and development activities within the laboratory.
This training program satisfies the requirements for the American Board of Medical Genetics (ABMG) examination in Clinical Cytogenetics.
APPLICANT REQUIREMENTS FOR CYTOGENETICS FELLOWSHIP PROGRAM:
- Applicant must have completed a terminal doctoral degree program by the time of matriculation into the Clinical Cytogenetics Fellowship Training Program.
- Applicants must hold an M.D. or Ph.D. (or equivalent); the Ph.D. degree must be in genetics or a related field within the biological sciences by the time of entering into the Cytogenetics Fellowship Training Program.
- Ph.D. applicants should preferably have a research dissertation involving human cytogenetics related topic.
- M.D. applicants must have completed a medical residency program.
- Good communication skills in English.
- Graduates with M.D. or Ph.D. degrees earned from schools outside of the United States or Canada require their degrees evaluated. A prior review by the ABMG Credentials Committee is preferred.
For more information, please contact: Kim Tyrey, Fellowship Coordinator