TEST NAME: Chromosome Analysis - Prenatal and Pregnancy Loss
INDICATIONS FOR PRENATAL CHROMOSOME ANALYSIS:
INDICATIONS FOR PREGNANCY LOSS CHROMOSOME ANALYSIS:
At least 10-15% of all recognized pregnancies are miscarried. Chromosome abnormalities cause more than 50% of first trimester losses and 15% of second trimester losses.1
TEST INFORMATION: Standard methodology is used for G-banded chromosome analysis. It is our protocol to perform Amniotic Fluid AFP (AF-AFP) on amniotic samples concurrently unless the gestational age is greater than 22 weeks 6 days in which case AChE is completed instead of AF-AFP. In most situations if AF-AFP is positive, AChE will be sent out and will be an added cost.
Chromosome Analysis identifies a chromosomal rearrangement, such as a balanced translocation, in 5-8% of individuals with recurrent pregnancy loss.2,3
REQUIRED FORMS: Prenatal and Pregnancy Loss Test Request Form
- Request for Pre-Authorization for Genetic Testing (Prenatal Diagnoses) or
- Request for Pre-Authorization for Genetic Testing (Pregnancy Loss)
- Amniotic Fluid: 15 - 20 ml amniotic fluid in sterile tubes
- Chorionic Villi Sampling (CVS): 10-20 mg in (sterile) villi in tissue culture media
- Products of Conception (POC): 0.5-1.0 cm3 (sterile) fetal tissue and/or villi in tissue culture media
Preferred fetal tissue sample sites include buttocks or thigh. If fetal tissue is not available placental villi can be utilized. Separate villi from maternal blood and deciduas to reduce the chance for maternal cell contamination.
Amniotic fluid if IUFD or therapeutic abortion, if possible.
- Amniotic Fluid: 88235(x2), 88269, 88280(x2), 88285
- Additional (Send Out) Testing on Amniotic Fluid:
- AChE: 82013, 82106, 82143, 82664
- AF-AFP: 82106
- Cytomegalovirus (CMV) PCR: 87496
- Parvovirus PCR: 87798
- Toxoplasma PCR: 87798
- Chorionic Villi Sampling (CVS): 88235(x2), 88261, 88280(x2), 88285(x3)
- Product of Conception (POC): 88233(x2), 88261, 88280(x2), 88285(x3)
PRICING: Contact the laboratory billing staff for current costs.
TURN-AROUND-TIME: Results are typically available in 7-10 days on amniotic fluid and CVS; 10-14 days on POC.
LINKS and REFERENCES:
- PATIENT BROCHURE: Amniocentesis (English)
- PATIENT BROCHURE: Amniocentesis (Spanish)
- PATIENT BROCHURE: CVS (English)
1. Gardner RJM, Sutherland GR. Chromosome Abnormalities and Genetic Counseling. 3rd ed. New York: Oxford University Press; 2004.
2. Braekeleer MD, Dao TN. Cytogenetic sudies in couples experiencing repeated pregnancy losses. Hum Reprod. 5(5):519-528, 1990.
3. Harger JH, Archer DF, Marchese SG, Muracca-Clemons M, Garver KL. Etiology of Recurrent Pregnancy Losses and Outcome of Subsequent Pregnancies. Obstet Gynecol. 62(5):574-581, 1983.