Max J. Kurz, PhD
Physical Therapy Department
985450 Nebraska Medical Center
Omaha, NE 68198-5450
Dr. Kurz’s expertise is on the use of biomechanical analysis techniques to quantify human movement. He has over 30 publications on the gait and balance of human walking. His experimental work has appeared in scientific journals such as Gait and Posture, Neuroscience Letters and Journal of Biomechanics.
PhD, University of Nebraska, Lincoln, NE, 2006
MS, University of Nebraska at Omaha, Omaha, NE, 1997
BS, Doane College, Crete, NE, 1994
HPER 8040 Research Methods,
PE 8010 Motor Control
PHYT 740 Critical Inquiry II
Research Interests and Projects:
- Gait and Balance of Children with Cerebral Palsy
Selected Publications: (within the last 5 years)
- Kurz, MJ,Stuberg, WA & De Jong, SA (2010). Mechanical work performed by the legs of children with spastic diplegic cerebral palsy. Gait & Posture 31(3):347-50.
- Kurz, MJ,Markopoulu, K & Stergiou, N (2010). Attractor divergence as a metric for assessing walking balance. Nonlinear Dynamics, Psychology and Life Sciences 14(2):151-164.
- Scott-Pandorf, M, O’Connor, DP, Layne, CS & Kurz, MJ(2010). Walking in a simulated Martian gravity: influence of added weight on sagittal dynamic stability. Acta Astronautica 66(9-10):1341-1352.
- Kurz, MJ & Hou, JG (2010). Levodopa influences the regularity of the ankle joint kinematics in individuals with Parkinson’s disease. Journal of Computational Neuroscience 28(1):131-6.
- Arellano, CJ, O’Connor, DP, Layne, CS & Kurz, MJ (2009). The independent effect of added mass on the stability of the sagittal plane leg kinematics during steady-state human walking. Journal of Experimental Biology, 212(12):1965-70.
- Scott-Pandorf, M, O’Connor, DP, Layne, CS & Kurz, MJ (2009). Walking in a simulated Martian gravity: insights on the influence of load location. ASME Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, 131(9):091005.
- Arellano, CJ, Layne, CS, O’Connor, DP, Scott-Pandorf, M & Kurz, MJ (2009). Does load carrying influence sagittal plane stability? Medicine Science in Sports and Exercise, 41(3):620-7.
- Pothakos, K, Kurz, MJ & Lau, YS (2009). Restorative effect of endurance exercise on behavioral deficits in the chronic mouse model of Parkinson's disease with severe neurodegeneration. Journal of Neuroengineering and Rehabilitation, 10(1):6.
- American Society of Biomechanics
- Society for Neuroscience
- Gait and Clinical Movement Analysis Society