Warren G. Sanger, PhD, FFACMG
Human Genetics Laboratory
985440 Nebraska Medical Center
Omaha, NE 68198-5440
Phone: (402) 559-5070, Option 2
Warren Sanger, PhD, FFACMG is the Director of the Human Genetics Laboratory (Cytogenetics and Molecular Cytogenetics Laboratories) and Director of Clinical Genetics at the Munroe-Meyer Institute, University of Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha, Nebraska. He is a Founding Fellow of the American Board of Medical Genetics and is Board Certified as a Clinical Cytogeneticist and Medical Geneticist by the American College of Medical Genetics and American Medical Association.
Dr. Sanger served in the military at the University of Maryland, Far East Division (Seoul, Korea), as a counter intelligence agent and an Instructor in Biology, from January 1969 to December 1971. He received his Ph.D. in 1974 and joined the University of Nebraska Medical Center in 1975. Dr. Sanger is a Professor of Pediatrics, Munroe-Meyer Institute and Pathology at the University of Nebraska Medical Center and serves as a Cytogenetics Advisor for several organizations. The Cytogenetics Laboratory provides over 14,000 diagnostic studies and 2,500 research studies per year in the areas of oncology, prenatal health, birth defects, and other molecular genetics projects. Primary research interests are in the areas of cancer genetics, genetic causes of birth defects and developmental disabilities, prenatal diagnosis and prenatal care.
PhD, University of Nebraska, Lincoln, NE and University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE, 1974
MS, University of Nebraska, Lincoln, NE, 1969
BS, Kearney State College, Kearney, NE, 1967
Human Genetics 518
Human Cytogenetics Elective
Metabolic Disease and Genetics Elective
Human Genetics 911
Human Cytogenetics 912
Human Cytogenetics Rotations for OB/GYN, Pathology and Pediatrics Residents
Invited Lecturer for graduate courses in Pharmacology, Neurology, Anatomy, Biochemistry, Pathology
and various UNL courses
Clinical Cytogenetics – University of Arkansas
Research Interests and Projects:
- Analysis of Lymphoma by cDNA Microarray
- Childhood B-NHL: Pathological-Immunological-Genetic Study
- Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia
- Cytogenetics of Breast and Ovarian Cancer
- Detection and implications of Occult Tumor Cells in Human Bone Marrow
- Development of Immune- Therapy for CML
- Etiological Factors and Mechanisms in Lymphomagenesis
- Familial Basal Cell Carcinoma Syndromes
- Gene Expression Analysis by DNA Microarray
- Genetic Policy
- Genetics and Birth Defects Service
- Immunopathology of the X-linked Lymphoproliferative Syndrome
- Investigation of Chromosome Damage among Farmers and Other Pesticide Applicators
- Maternal Serum Screening for the Identification of High Risk Pregnancies in Nebraska Education, Coordination and Counseling
- Molecular Genetics of Genetic Analysis of Fetal Cells From Maternal Circulation
- Novel Restriction Fragment Polymorphisms and Neoplasia
- Pancreatic Carcinogenesis
- Pediatric Hodgkin's Disease
- Prenatal Screening of Uncultured and Cultured Amniocytes Utilizing Direct Label Probes
- The Effects of Subfertility on Parent-Child Relation and Child Behavior
Publications: (within the last 5 years)
- Patel SA, Coulter DW, Grovas AC, Gordon BG, Harper JL, Warkentin PI, Wisecarver JL, Sanger WG, and Coccia PF. Cytosine Arabinoside and Mitoxantrone followed by second allogeneic transplant for the treatment of children with refractory Juvenile Myelomonocytic Leukemia. Submitted to J Pediat Hematol Onc, March 2013.
- Perry AM, Nelson M, Sanger WG, Bridge JA, and Greiner TC (2013). Cytogenetic abnormalities in follicular dendritic cell sarcoma: report of two cases and literature review. In Vivo, 27(2):211-4.
- Matthew JB, Goldman S, Smith L, Perkins SL, Shiramizu, Gross TG, Harrison L, Sanger WG, Geyer MB, Giulino LB, and Cairo, MS. Rituximab pharmacokinetics in children and adolescents with de novo intermediate and advanced mature b-cell lymphoma/leukemia: a Children’s Oncology Group (COG) report. Submitted to Brit J Haematol, February 21, 2013.
- Perry AM, Aoun P, Coulter DW, Sanger WG, Grant WJ and, Coccia PF (2013). Early onset, EBV-negative PTLD in pediatric liver-small bowel transplant recipients: a spectrum of plasma cell neoplasms with favorable prognosis. Blood, 121(8):1377-83. [Epub 2012 Dec 18].
- Moreno-De-Luca D, Kaminsky EB, Myers SM, Adam MP, Pakula A, Eisenhauer NJ, Uhas K, Weik L, Guy L, Rossi MR, Care ME, Morel CF, Boni M, Salbert B, Pearce BD, Chandrareddy A, Demmer LA, Chow EWC, Surti U, Hegde M, Sanger WG, Aradhya S, Martin C, and Ledbetter DH. Sex-specific risk for autism associated with recurrent 17a12 microdeletions. Submitted to Nat Genet.
- Goldman S, Smith L, Galardy P, Perkins SL, Frazer JK, Sanger WG, Anderson JR, Gross TG, Weinstein H, Harrison L, Shiramizu B, Barth M, and Cairo MS. The safety and efficacy of Rituximab and FAB chemotherapy in childrens and adolescents with bone marrow and/or central nervous system Burkitt lymphoma/leukemia: a Children’s Oncology Group report. Submitted to J Clin Oncol, Nov 21, 2012.
- Goldman S, Smith L, Anderson JR, Perkins S, Harrison L, Geyer MB, Gross TG, Weinstein H, Bergeron S, Shiramizu B, Sanger WG, Barth M, Zhi J, and Cairo MS (2012). Rituximab and FAB/LMB 96 chemotherapy in children with Stage III/IV B-cell non-Hodgkin lymphoma; a Children’s Oncology Group report. Leukemia. [Epub ahead of print].
- Caponetti GC, Miranda RN, Althof PA, Dobesh RC, Sanger WG, Medeiros LJ, Greiner TC, and Weisenburger DD (2012). Immunohistochemical and molecular cytogenetic evaluation of potential targets for tyrosine kinase inhibitors in Langerhans cell histiocytosis. Hum Pathol 43(12):2223-8. [Epub ahead of print].
- Sanmann JN, Bishay DL, Starr LJ, Bell CA, Pickering DL, Stevens JM, Kahler SG, Olney AH, Schaefer GB, and Sanger WG (2012). Characterization of six novel patients with MECP2 duplications due to unbalanced rearrangements of the X chromosome. Am J Med Genet A, 158A(6):1285-91. [Epub 2012 May 11].
- Deffenbacher KE, Iqbal J, Sanger WG, Shen Y, Lachel C, Liu Z, Liu Y, Lim MS, Perkins SL, Fu K, Smith L, Lynch J, Staudt LM, Rimsza LM, Jaffe E, Rosenwald A, Ott GK, Delabie J, Campo E, Gascoyne RD, Cairo MS, Weisenburger DD, Greiner TC, Gross TC, and Chan WC (2012). Molecular distinctions between pediatric and adult mature B-cell non-hodgkin lymphomas identified through genomic profiling. Blood, 119(16):3757-66. [Epub 2012 Feb 28].
- Sanmann JN, Schaefer GB, Buehler BA, and Sanger WG (2012). Algorithmic approach for methyl-CpG binding protein 2 (MECP2) gene testing in patients with neurodevelopmental disabilities. J Child Neurol, 27(3):346-54. [Epub 2011 Nov 28].
- Swansbury J and Sanger WG (2012). Cytogenetics of lymphoma in children and young adults: hematological malignancies in children, adolescents and young adults. World Scientific Publishing, Singapore.
- Patel S, Grovas A, Gordon B, Harper J, Warkentin P, Wisecarver J, Sanger WG, and Coccia P (2012). Cytosine Arabinoside and Mitoxantrone followed by second allogeneic stem cell transplantation for the treatment of children with relapsed Juvenile Myelomonocytic Leukemia (JMML). Pediatric Blood & Cancer. Accepted February 2012.
- Deffenbacher KE, Iqbal J, Sanger WG, Shen Y, Lachel C, Liu Z, Liu Y, Lim M, Perkins S, Fu K, Smith L, Lynch J, Staudt LM, Rimsza LM, Jaffe E, Rosewald A, Ott G, Delabie J, Campo E, Gascoyne RD, Cairo M, Weisenburger D, Greiner T, Gross T, and Chan WC (2012). Molecular distinctions between pediatric and adult mature B-cell non-Hodgkin lymphomas identified through genomic profiling. Blood, 119(16):3757-66.
- Pan Z, Sanger WG, Bridge JA, Hunter WJ, Siegal GP, and Wei S (2012). A novel t (6;13)(q15;q34) translocation in a giant cell reparative granuloma (solid aneurysmal bone cyst). Hum Pathol, 43(6):952-7. [Epub 2012 Jan 26].
- Lones MA, Raphael M, McCarth K, Wotherspoon Al, Terrier-Lacombe MJ, Ramsay AD, Maclennan K, Cairo MS, Gerrard M, Michon J, Patte C, Pinkerton R, Sender L, Auperin A, Sposto R, Weston C, Heerema NA, Sanger WG, von Allmen D, and Perkins SL (2012). Primary follicular lymphoma of the testis in children and adolescents. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol, 34(1):68-71.
- Sanmann J, Schaefer GB, Buehler BA, and Sanger WG (2012). Algorithmic approach for Methyl-CpG binding Protein 2 (MECP2) gene testing in patients with neurodevelopmental disabilities. J Child Neurol, 27(3):346-54. [Epub 2011 Nov 28].
- Caponetti GC, Althof PA, Dobesh RC, Miranda RN, Sanger WG, Medeiros LJ, Greiner TC, and Weisenburger D (2012). Immunohistochemical and molecular cytogenetic evaluation of potential targets for tyrosine kinase inhibitors in langerhans cell histiocytosis. Hum Pathol, 43(12):2223-8.
- Dave BJ, Nelson M, and Sanger WG (2011). Lymphoma cytogenetics. Clin Lab Med, 31(4):725-61. [Epub 2011 Oct 21].
- Cairo MS, Day NS, Goldman S, Sanger WG, Harrison L, Lim M, Miles R, and Perkins S (2011). Genomic pathways and potential therapeutic targets in Pediatric Burkitt Lymphoma (PBL): a Children’s Oncology Group report. Blood, 118;21.
- Goldman S, Galardy PJ, Smith L, Perkins S, Shiramizu B, Gross T, Sanger WG, Harrison L, and Cairo MS (2011). The efficacy of Rasburicase and Rituximab combined with FAB chemotherapy in children and adolescents with newly diagnosed stage III/IV BM+ and CNS+ mature B-NHL: a Children’s Oncology Group report. Blood, 118;21.
- Mhanni AA, Hartley JN, Sanger WG, Chudley AE, and Spriggs EL (2011). Variable expressivity of a novel mutation in the SCN1A gene leading to an autosomal dominant seizure disorder. Seizure, 20(9):711-2. [Epub 2011 Jul 19].
- Engelstad H, Carney G, S’aulis D, Rise J, Sanger WG, Rudd MK, Richard G, Carr CW, Abdul-Tahman OA, and Rizzo WB. Large contiguous gene deletions in Sjögren-Larsson syndrome. Mol Genet Metab 2011 Nov;104(3):356-61. [Epub 2011 May 30].
- Schiffman JD, Lorimer P, Rodic V, Jahromi M, Downie J, Bayerl M, Sanmann J, Althof P, Sanger WG, Barnette P, Perkins S, and Miles R (2011). Genome wide copy number analysis of paediatric Burkitt lymphoma using formalin-fixed tissues reveals a subset with gain of chromosome 13q and corresponding miRNA over expression. Br J Haematol, 155(4):477-86. [Epub 2011 Oct 8].
- Chen Y, Dave BJ, Irons R, Zhu X, Chan WC, Iqbal J, Sanger WG, and Fu K. Different cytogenetic profile of diffuse large B-cell lymphoma between Chinese and American patients. Submitted to Leukemia & Lymphoma, October 11, 2011.
- Kaminsky EB, Kaul V, Paschall J, Church D, Bunke B, Kunig D, Moreno-De-Luca D, Moreno-De-Luca A, Mulle JG, Warren ST, Richard G, Compton JG, Fuller AE, Gliem TJ, Huang S, Collinson MN, Beal SJ, Ackley T, Pickering DL, Golden DM, Aston E, Whitby H, Shetty S, Rossi MR, Rudd MK, South ST, Brothman AR, Sanger WG, Iyer RK, Crolla JA, Thorland EC, Aradhya S, Ledbetter DH, and Martin CL (2011). An evidence-based approach to establish the functional and clinical significance of CNVs in intellectual and developmental disabilities. Genet Med, 13(9):777-84.
- Goldman S, Lynch J, Smith L, Anderson J, Perkins S, Harrison L, Geyer M, Gross T, Weinstein H, Bergeron S, Shiramizu B, Sanger WG, Zhi J, and Cairo M (2011). Safety, Pharmacokinetics and outcome following the addition of Rituximab to FAB/LMB 96 backbone chemotherapy in children and adolescents with newly diagnosed stage III/IV intermediate risk mature B-cell non-Hodgkin lymphoma: A Children’s Oncology Group report Submitted to Blood 2011.
- Shiramizu B, Goldman S, Kusao I, Agsalda M, Lynch J, Smith L, Harrison L, Morris E, Gross TG, Sanger WG, Perkins S, and Cairo MS (2011). Minimal disease assessment in the treatment of children and adolescents with intermediate-risk (Stage III/IV) B-cell non-Hodgkin lymphoma: a Children’s Oncology Group report. Br J Hematol, 153(6):758-763. [Epub 2011 Apr 18].
- Engelstad H, Carney G, S’Aulis D, Rise J, Sanger WG, Rudd MK, Richard G, Carr CW, Abdul-Rahman OA, and Rizzo WB (2011). Large contiguous gene deletions in Sjögren-Larsson syndrome. Mol Genet Metab, 104(3):356-61. [Epub 2011 May 30].
- Visco C, Hoeller S, Malik JT, Xu-Monette ZY, Wiggins ML, Liu J, Sanger WG, Liu Z, Chang J, Ranheim EA, Gradowski JF, Serrano S, Wang HY, Liu Q, Dave S, Olsen B, Gascoyne RD, Campo E, Swerdlow SH, Chan WC, Tzankov A, and Young KH (2011). Molecular characteristics of mantle cell lymphoma presenting with clonal plasma cell component. Am J Surg Pathol, 35(2):177-189.
- Schaefer GB, Starr L, Pickering D, Skar G, DeHaai K, and Sanger WG. Array CGH Findings in a Cohort Referred for an Autism Evaluation. In Press, 2010.
- Marušiæ Z, Zovak M, Hagenkord JM, Kash S, Koul MS, Sanger WG, Gatalica A, Krušlin B, and Tomas D. Papillary Renal Cell-like Carcinoma in a Retroperitoneal Teratoma. Patholog International, Submitted, 2010.
- Moreno-de-Luca D, Kaminsky EB, Myers SM, Adam MP, Pakila A, Eisenhauer NJ, Uhas K, Weik L, Guy L, Rossi MR, Care ME, Morel CF, Boni M, Salbert B, Pearce BD, Chandrareddy A, Demmer LA, Chow WC, Surti U, Hegde M, Sanger WG, Aradhya S, Martin CL, and Ledbetter DH. Sex-specific Risk for Autism Associated with Recurrent 17q12 Microdeletion. Nature Genetics. Submitted, 2010.
- Lim AS, Lim TH, Tien SL, Hess MH, Kee SK, Lau Y, Gilbert R, Hempel T, Anderson K, Zaleski DH, Chia P, Raman S, Tan HK, Tan AS, Sanger WG. Is Rapid Aneuploidy Screening with FISH as a Stand-alone Test Sufficiently Robust in Prenatal Diagnosis? Submitted, 2010.
- Macferran KL, Buchmann RF, Ramakrishnaih R, Griebel ML, Sanger WG, Saronwala A, Schaefer GB. Pontine Tegmental Cap Dysplasia with a 2q13 Micro-deletion Involving the NPHP1 Gene: Insight into Malformations of the Mid-Hind Brain. Pediatric Neurology, (in press) 2010.
- Peterson C, Lester DR, and Sanger WG. Burkitt’s Lymphoma in Early Pregnancy. Journal of Clinical Oncology Vol 28, 2010.
- Naushad H, Choi W, Page CJ, Weisenburger DD, Sanger WG, and Aoun P. Mantle Cell Lymphoma with Flow Cytometric Evidence of Clonal Plasmacytic Differentiation: A Case Report. Cytometry B Clin Cytom, May; 76(3): 218-224, 2009.
- Poirel HA, Cairo MS, Heerema N, Swansbury J, Auperin A, Launay E, Sanger WG, Talley P, Perkins SL, Raphael M, McCarthy K, Sposto R, Gerrard M, Bernheim A, and Patte C. Specific Cytogenetic Abnormalities are Associated with a Significantly Inferior Outcome in Children and Adolescents with Mature B-cell Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma: Results of the FAB/LMB 96 International Study. Leukemia 23(2): 323-331, 2009.
- Gu K, Fu K, Jain S, Liu Z, Chan J, Weisenburger DD, Greiner T, Aoun P, Sanger WG, Iqbal J, and Dave BJ. t(14;18) - Negative Follicular Lymphoma are Associated with a High Frequency of BCL6 Rearrangement at the Alternative Breakpoint Region. Modern Pathol, Sep; 22(9): 1251-1257, 2009.
- Tsuchiya KD, Shaffer LG, Aradhya S, Biggerstaff J, Gastier-Foster J, Patel A, Rudd MK, Sanger WG, Schwartz S, Tepperberg J, Thorland E, Torchia B, and Brothman A. Variability in Interpreting & Reporting Copy Number Changes Detected by Array-based Technology in Clinical Laboratories. Genetics in Medicine, 11(12): December 866-873, 2009.
- Dave BJ, Olney AH, Zaleski D, Pickering D, Becker TA, Chipman HE, and Sanger WG. Inherited 14q Duplication and 21q Deletion: A Rare Adjacent-2 Segregation in Multiple Family Members. Am J Med Genet Part A 149A: 2248-2253, 2009.
- Nelson M, Perkins S, Dave B, Coccia P, Bridge J, Lyden E, Heerema N, Lones M, Harrison L, Cairo M, and Sanger WG. An Increased Frequency of 13q Deletions Detected by Fluorescence In Situ Hybridization and Its Impact on Survival in Children and Adolescents with Burkitt Lymphoma: Results from the Children’s Oncology Group CCG-5961. British Journal of Haematology 1-11. Doi:10.1111/j.1365-2141, 2009.
- Dave BJ, Olney AH, Zaleski DH, Pickering DL, Becker TA, Chipman HE, and Sanger WG. Inherited 14q Duplication and 21q Deletion: A Rare Adjacent-2 Segregation in Multiple Family Members. Am J Med Genet A. Oct 149(10): 2248-2253, 2009.
- Lones MA, Raphael M, McCarthy K, Wotherspoon A, Terrier-Lacombe M, Ramsay AD, MacLennan K, Cairo MS, Gerrard M, Michon J, Patte C, Pinkerton R, Sender L, Auperin A, Sposto R, Weston C, Heerema NA, Sanger WG, Bernheim A, Poirel H, Swansbury J, Talley P, and Perkins SL. Primary Follicular Large Cell Lymphoma of the Testis in Children and Adolescents: A Report for CCG-5961. British J. Of Hematology, (In press), 2009.
- American Association of Tissue Banks
- American College of Medical Genetics
- American Fertility Society
- American Genetics Association
- American Society of Hematology (ASH)
- American Society of Human Genetics
- Association of Clinical Scientists
- Children's Cancer Group
- Children’s Oncology Group - Lymphoma Cytogenetics
- Council of Regional Networks for Genetics Services (CORN)
- Great Plains Genetic Service Network
- Lymphoma Study Group Prioritization Committee
- March of Dimes, Southeast Chapter
- Midwest Clinical Genetics Society
- Society of Andrology
- Society of Cryobiology
- Society of Sigma Xi
- Tissue Culture Association