Welcome to the University of Nebraska Medical Center’s epilepsy program. We are happy to help you find answers and solutions to many questions concerning epilepsy.
Epilepsy is a chronic condition that affects the brain’s electrical circuits. This will produce seizures that may alter the person’s awareness, daily activity and ability to function.
In our comprehensive epilepsy program, a multi-specialty team (physicians, psychologists, nurses, social workers, and specialized technical help) is brought together to provide an organized approach to the management of people with complex problems related to epilepsy. The team collaborates regularly and works hard to provide the best care possible for epilepsy patients.
Our program and the level 4 epilepsy center accommodate patients from different states including Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, South Dakota and others.
Our epilepsy program provides state of the art diagnostic methods, including electroencephalograms (EEG), long term video-EEG monitoring that requires admission the epilepsy monitoring unit, Magnetoencephlograms (MEG scans), brain imaging (MRIs, PET-scans and others) neuropsychological testing, and WADA tests for presurgical evaluation.
As medical professionals and leaders in the region, we are dedicated to provide a comprehensive care and cover all aspects of epilepsy treatments. This includes:
- Applying the previous tests to diagnose epilepsy or other types of conditions leading to paroxysmal disabling events
- Counseling and education about the condition
- Medical treatment of epilepsy
- Pre-surgical work-up for patients who are candidates and are willing to peruse the work-up for a potential epilepsy surgery
- Surgical treatment for epilepsies that are uncontrolled with medications
- Vagal nerve stimulation
- Jason Hennessey, PA-C
Case Managers/Nursing Support:
- Monica Bentzinger, RN, BSN
- Crystal Pearon, RN, MSN
- Ginger Turk, LPN
EEG and MEG Technicians:
- Ken Maurer, R.NCST, C.NCT, R.EPT; TNMC Neurophysiology Manager
- Becky Buchman, R.EEGT
- Shelly Buhrman, EEGT
- Rick Hamad, R.EEGT, R.EPT, CNIM
- Stacy Shaw, R.EEGT, CNI., C.LTM
- Raenelle Price, R.EEGT
- Nichole Knott, R.EEGT, Neruo-Meg Specialist