Assistant Professor - Department of Neurological Sciences
Director – Myopathy and Myasthenia Gravis Program
Director – ALS Program
Chief, Neurology Section, VA Nebraska-Western Iowa Health Care System
|Academic Office:||Clinic Practice Location:|
|982045 Nebraska Medical Center
Omaha, NE 68198-2045
|4242 Farnam Street, Suite 650
North Doctor's Tower
Omaha, NE 68131
Administrative Assistant: Lisa McCann 402-559-4086
Federal University of Bahia, Salvador, Bahia, Brazil, M.D. (1991)
Internal Medicine, Hospital do Servidor Publico Estadual, Sao Paulo, Brazil, Resident (1993-1994)
Neurology, Hospital do Servidor Publico Estadual, Sao Paulo, Brazil, Resident (1994-1996)
Electromyography (EMG), Hospital do Servidor Publico Estadual, Sao Paulo, Brazil, Resident (1996-1997)
Internal Medicine Internship, University Hospitals of Cleveland/Case Western Reserve University, (1999-2000)
Neurology, University Hospitals of Cleveland/Case Western Reserve University, Resident (2000-2003)
Clinical Neurophysiology (EMG), University Hospitals of Cleveland/Case Western Reserve University, Fellowship (2003-2004)
Neuromuscular Disorders, Washington University in St. Louis, Fellowship (2004-2006)
University of Nebraska Medical Center
VA Nebraska-Western Iowa Health Care System
Interests: ALS, Motor Neuron Disease, Myopathy, Muscular Dystrophies, Inflammatory Myopathies, Myasthenia Gravis, Neuromuscular Junction Disorders, Peripheral Neuropathy, and Electromyography
Dr. J. Americo M. Fernandes is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Neurological Sciences joining our staff in July of 2006. He is the chief of the neurology section at the Omaha VA medical center. He received his Medical Degree from Federal University of Bahia in Salvador, Bahia, Brazil. He completed a neurology residency and EMG training in Sao Paulo, Brazil. He completed his Neurology Residency at Case Western Reserve University/University Hospitals of Cleveland. Two fellowships were completed; the first in Clinical Neurophysiology (EMG) at Case Western Reserve University and the second in Neuromuscular Disorders at Washington University in Saint Louis. Dr. Fernandes is the director of the UNMC ALS multidisciplinary clinic and co-director of the UNMC muscular dystrophy clinic. Dr. Fernandes evaluates patients with neuromuscular disorders including ALS, motor neuron disease, muscular dystrophy, myopathies, myasthenia gravis and other neuromuscular junction disorders, peripheral neuropathies. He is working on enhancing neuromuscular research at UNMC.
Dr. Fernandes is board certified in Neurology and Neuromuscular Medicine by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology and in Electrodiagnostic Medicine (EMG) by the American Board of Electrodiagnostic Medicine. He is a member of the American Academy of Neurology, The American Association of Neuromuscular and Electrodiagnostic Medicine, the American Medical Association, the Northeast ALS consortium (NEALS) and the Western ALS study group (WALS).
- Fernandes Filho JA, Shapiro BE. Tay-Sachs disease. Seminal Citation. Arch Neurol 2004; 61:1466-1468.
- Fernandes Filho JA, Nathan BM, Palmert MR, Katirji B. Diabetic amyotrophy in an adolescent responsive to intravenous immunoglobulin. Muscle and Nerve 2005;32:818-820.
- Al-Shekhlee A, Fernandes Filho JA, Sukul D, Preston DC. Optimal recording electrode placement in the lumbrical-interossei comparison Study. Muscle and Nerve 2006; 33: 289-293.
- Shapiro BE, Hatters-Friedman S, Fernandes Filho JA, Anthony K, Natowicz MR. Late-onset Tay-Sachs disease: adverse effects of medications and implications for treatment. Neurology 2006; 67: 875-877.
- Wolfe T, Ubogu EE, Fernandes-Filho JA, ziadat OO. Predictors of clinical outcome and mortality in vertebrobasilar dolichoectasia diagnosed by magnetic resonance angiography. J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2008 Nov-Dec; 17(6): 388-93.
- Fernandes Filho JA, Pestronk A. Muscle pain and cramps. In: Bradley WG, Daroff RB, Fenichel GM, Jankovic J, eds. Neurology in clinical practice-5th Ed 2008: 385-391.
- Fernandes Filho JA, Suarez JI. Neurocritical care of Myasthenia Gravis Crisis. In: Kaminski H, ed. Myasthenia Gravis and related disorders. Totowa, Humana Press, 2009; 175-183.
- Lopate G, Baloh RH, Al-Lozi M, Miller TM, Fernandes Filho JA, Leston A, Ni O, Florence J, Schierbecker J, Allred P. Familial ALS with extreme phenotypic variability due to the I113T SOD1 mutation. Amyotroph Lateral Scler. 2010; 11(1-2): 232-6.
- Salem B, Thaisetthawatkul P, Fernandes JA, McComb RD. Adult-Onset Acid Maltase Deficiency with Isolated Axial Muscle Involvement. J Clin Neuromusc Disor 2010; 12(1): 30-35.
- Harms M, Alred P, Gardner R, Fernandes-Filho J, Florance J, Pestronk A, Al-Lozi M, and Baloh R. Dominant Spinal Muscular Atrophy with Lower Extremity Predominance: Linkage to 14q32. Neurology 2010;75(6): 539-546.
- Antony Arun, Fernandes Filho J. Americo, Bertoni John. Novel Mutation in NEFL Gene in a Patient with Axonal Charcot-Marie-Tooth Disease. Neurology 2011, 76 (suppl 4); A221.
- Fernandes Filho J Americo, McComb Rodney D., Ansari Sharique, Spuler Simone, Moore Steven A. Dysferlinopathy with Distal Myopathy and Intramuscular Amyloid Deposition. Neurology 2011, 76 (suppl 4); A527.
- Thaisetthawatkul Pariwat, Fernandes Filho J. Americo, Herrman David. Utility of Diagnostic Test in Small Fiber Neuropathy: Proposal of New Diagnostic Criteria. Neurology 2011, 76 (suppl 4): A109.
- Meet our Faculty