Interim Chairman - Department of Neurological Sciences
Associate Professor - Department of Neurological Sciences
Director - Memory Disorders & Behavioral Neurology Program
|Academic Office:||Clinic Practice Location:|
|988440 Nebraska Medical Center
Omaha, NE 68198-8440
|4242 Farnam Street, Suite 650
North Doctor's Tower
Omaha, NE 68131
Administrative Assistant: Tova Safford 402-559-5569
University of Nebraska School of Medicine, M.D. (1989)
University of Michigan Hospitals, Resident (1990-1993)
University of Michigan Hospitals, Fellowship (1993-1996)
University of Michigan, School of Public Health, M.S. (1996-1997)
University of Nebraska Medical Center
VA Nebraska-Western Iowa Health Care System
Interests: Behavioral, Cognitive and Geriatric Neurology
Dr. Murman is an Associate Professor and Interim Chairman with the Department of Neurological Sciences at the University of Nebraska Medical Center. This institution is also where he received his medical education and he graduated with research honors. His postgraduate training included a Residency in Neurology and a Fellowship in Cognitive Disorders/Geriatric Neurology at the University of Michigan Hospitals in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Prior to coming to UNMC, Dr. Murman was an Assistant and Associate Professor in the Department of Neurology and Ophthalmology at Michigan State University. His research interests include clinical and health services research focused on Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease and related neurodegenerative disorders. Clinical interests include the care of patients with neurodegenerative disorders including Alzheimer’s Disease, Dementia with Lewy Bodies, Frontotemporal Dementia, Parkinson’s Disease and Huntington’s Disease.
- Murman DL. The cost of caring: medical costs of Alzheimer’s disease and the managed care environment. J Geriatr Psychiatry Neurol, 2001; 14:168-178.
- Murman DL, Chen Q, Colucci PM, Colenda CC, Gelb DJ, Liang J. Comparison of health care utilization and direct costs in three degenerative dementias. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry, 2002;10:328-336.
- Murman DL, Chen Q, Powell MC, Kuo SB, Bradley CJ, Colenda CC. The incremental direct costs associated with behavioral symptoms in AD. Neurology, 2002; 59:1721-1729.
- Murman DL, Kuo SB, Powell MC, Colenda CC. The impact of parkinsonism on costs of care in patient’s with AD and dementia with Lewy bodies. Neurology, 2003; 61:944-949.
- Sherwood P, Given B, Given C, Schiffman R, Murman D. Family care of persons with a brain tumor. Nursing Inquiry, 2004; 11(1):43-53.
- Sherwood PR, Strommel M, Murman DL, Given CW, Given BA. Primary malignant brain tumor incidence and Medicaid enrollment. Neurology, 2004;62:1788-1793.
- Murman DL, Colenda CC. The economic impact of neuropsychiatric symptoms in Alzheimer’s disease: can drugs ease the burden? Pharmacoeconomics, 2005; 23(3):227-242.
- Sherwood PR, Given BA, Given CW, Schiffman RF, Murman DL, Lovely M, von Eye A, Rogers LR, Remer S. Predictors of distress in caregivers of persons with a primary malignant brain tumor. Res Nurs Health 2006; 29(2):105-120.
- Tun S, Murman DL, von Eye A. Predictive validity of neuropsychiatric subgroups on caregiver distress in Alzheimer’s disease. J Am Geriatr Assoc. 2006, 54(suppl 4): S52.
- Murman DL, Elston Lafata J, Dobie E, Divine G. Evaluating process of care, quality indicators in ambulatory dementia care. Alzheimer’s and Dementia 2006; 2(suppl 1):S575.
- Tun MM, Murman DL, Long HL, Colenda CC, von Eye A. Predictive validity of neuropsychiatric subgroups on nursing home placement and survival in Alzheimer’s disease patients. Am J Geriatr Psych 2007; 15(4):314-327.
- Murman DL, von Eye A, Sherwood PR, Liang J, Colenda CC. Evaluated need, costs of care and payer perspectives in degenerative dementia patients cared for in the United States. Alzheimer Dis Assoc Disord 2007; 21:39-48.
- Sherwood PR, Given BA, Given CW, Schiffman RF, Murman DL, von Eye A, Lovely M, Rogers LR, Remer S. The influence of caregiver mastery on depressive symptoms. J Nurs Scholarsh 2007; 39(3):249-255.
- Park DC, Murman DL, Perry KD, Bruch LA. An autopsy case of limbic encephalitis with voltage-gated potassium channel antibodies. Eur J Neurol 2007; 14(10):e5-6.
- Murman DL, Dobie E, Divine G, Elston Lafata J. Exploring the relationships between dementia care, quality indicators and patient outcomes. Academy Health 2007.
- Tun SM, Murman DL, Colenda CC. Concurrent validity of neuropsychiatric subgroups on caregiver burden in Alzheimer’s disease patients. Am J Geriatr Psych. 2008; 16:594-602.
- Powell M, Haworth A, Murman DL, Velie E, Birbeck GL. Closing gaps in ART access: HIV-D screening instruments for non-physician healthcare workers. Am J Trop Med Hyg 2009; 80:1054-1059.
- Burke WJ, Padala PR, Murman DL. Amyloid-based therapies for Alzheimer’s Disease: From vaccines to secretase inhibitors. Primary Psychiatry 2009; 16:48-52.
- Murman DL, Charlton M, High R, Leibman C, McLaughlin T. Predicting costs of care for unique dependence levels in patients with Alzheimer’s disease. International Conference on Alzheimer’s Disease (ICAD), July 2009. Alzheimer’s Dement 2009; 5(4) suppl: P408.
- Murman DL, Charlton M, High R, Leibman C, McLaughlin T. Estimating health-related quality of life for unique dependence levels in patients with Alzheimer’s disease. International Conference on Alzheimer’s Disease, July 2009. Alzheimer’s Dement 2009; 5(4) suppl: P236.
- Murr N, Murman D, Madhavan D. A case of progressive ataxia followed by cognitive and behavioral changes. Rev Neurol Dis. 2010; 7:34-6.
- Murman DL, Charlton M, High R, McLaughlin TP. Dependence levels and risk of nursing home placement or death in patients with Alzheimer’s disease. Neurology, April 2010.
- Sankaranarayanon J, Murman DL. National estimates and characteristics of ambulatory care visits for dementia care in the United States 1998-2007. ISPOR May 2011.
- Meet our Faculty