Welcome to the University of Nebraska Department of Neurological Sciences. This web page is designed to provide information about our Neurology residency for prospective applicants. If you don’t find what you’re looking for, please call our residency coordinator at 402-559-5804.
Our Neurology residency is a comprehensive three year ACGME certified program. The residency program's home institution is the University of Nebraska Medical Center. In addition, residents have the opportunity to rotate through three affiliated institutions as described below.
- The University of Nebraska Medical Center (UNMC)
- The Nebraska Medical Center (NMC) is the primary teaching hospital of UNMC. It is a level 1 trauma center with 735 licensed beds treating both adult and pediatric patients and is accredited by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Health Care Organizations (JCAHO) and a member of Council of Teaching Hospitals. The hospital has neonatal, pediatric and adult intensive care units. There is a 29 Regular bed inpatient unit dedicated to Neurology and Neurosurgery patients. It includes an active 6-bed epilepsy video monitoring unit. There is no dedicated Neuro-ICU at this time; however, discussions are progressing towards that goal. Patients with critical care needs are currently admitted to the adult intensive care unit.
- There is a dedicated Neurology Outpatient Clinic located on campus. This facility has 18 rooms, two procedure rooms and three physician work areas.
- The neurophysiology Laboratory includes electromyography (EMG) and nerve conduction studies, evoked potentials, sensory and autonomic testing. It is well equipped and has five patient rooms and is located on campus.
- The EEG laboratory is separate and located on campus and it well equipped and located with our MEG center (one of the few in the country).
- Creighton University Medical Center (CUMC)
- Creighton University Medical Center (CUMC) is the primary teaching hospital of Creighton University Medical School. It is an acute care facility located at 601 N. 30th Street with 358 licensed beds and is a level 1 trauma center. It has a trauma, cardiac care, robotic and minimally invasive surgery, neurosurgery, as well as peri-natalogy and neonatology. CUMC is fully accredited by JCAHO and has just recently opened an 18 bed Neuro/Orthro unit.
- Veteran’s Affairs Hospital (VA)
- The Omaha Division of the Veterans Administration Medical Center is an acute, tertiary care facility with 100 acute care beds, 8 Residential Substance Abuse beds located at 4101 Woolworth Avenue. The Omaha facility provides inpatient, medical, surgical and psychiatric care in addition to its ambulatory care services. Neurology patients are admitted to various inpatient units. Neurology is a consulting service. The outpatient facility has 3 exam rooms, 1 EEG/EMG room, 2 sleep rooms and 2 vascular lab rooms.
- Children’s Hospital & Medical Center
- Children’s Hospital & Medical Center is a site for pediatric neurology rotation for the residents. The hospital is located at 8200 Dodge Street, Omaha Nebraska. It is the primary pediatric hospital in the state of Nebraska. The hospital contains 145 regular beds, an ICU and an emergency room.
Together, these tertiary care hospitals comprise the largest referral center in the Nebraska and the region. As a result, our program provides residents experience with a very diverse range of patients and disease states.