In UNMC Today's Student Spotlight, we get to know some of these students, who will become tomorrow's health care professionals. Today we meet:
- Name: Crystal Epstein
- Hometown: Columbus, Neb.
- Program/Year: Ph.D. in nursing, second year
What sparked your interest in mental health nursing research?
With nurses being the largest group of health professionals, I am interested in studying ways in which nurses and nurse practitioners can promote mental health in our society. Specifically, maternal mental health plays a crucial role in establishing a healthy foundation for developing children. Thus, my doctoral research is focused on promoting maternal-child health by testing group psychotherapy interventions for mothers struggling with depression during pregnancy.
List three songs on your playlist.
- "Eishet Chayil," sung a capella by my husband
- "Lecha Dodi," Shlock Rock Shabbos in Liverpool version
- "Itsy Bitsy Spider," sung a cappella by me to my 10-month old daughter
Your favorite study snack is:
Coffee in the morning, tea in the evening
Your favorite app is:
Peter Rabbit Book, which I bought for my daughter.
Three things people may not know about you:
- On my first day at UNMC orientation to nursing school six years ago, I met my husband, who opened the door for me going into Wittson Hall. It was his first day of medical school.
- I am a sailboat captain. I once finished second place in a sailing regatta.
- I like to sew and create things with my hands, but have little time for it in this life. In my next life, I have plans to be a costume designer.
Best wishes for you, Nina and Adrian! LP