Education is one of the four pillars of UNMC's mission, and our students are the lifeblood of that aspect of campus life. In UNMC Today's Student Spotlight, we get to know some of these students, who will become tomorrow's health care professionals. Today we meet:
- Name: Crystal Epstein
- Hometown: Columbus, Neb.
- Program/Year: Ph.D. in nursing, second year
What sparked your interest in mental health nursing research?
With nurses being the largest group of health professionals, I am interested in studying ways in which nurses and nurse practitioners can promote mental health in our society. Specifically, maternal mental health plays a crucial role in establishing a healthy foundation for developing children. Thus, my doctoral research is focused on promoting maternal-child health by testing group psychotherapy interventions for mothers struggling with depression during pregnancy. List three songs on your playlist.
- "Eishet Chayil," sung a cappella by my husband
- "Lecha Dodi," Shlock Rock Shabbos in Liverpool version
- "Itsy Bitsy Spider," sung a cappella by me to my 10-month old daughter
Your favorite study snack is:
Coffee in the morning, tea in the evening Your favorite app is:
Peter Rabbit Book, which I bought for my daughter. Three things people may not know about you:
- On my first day at UNMC orientation to nursing school six years ago, I met my husband, who opened the door for me going into Wittson Hall. It was his first day of medical school.
- I am a sailboat captain. I once finished second place in a sailing regatta.
- I like to sew and create things with my hands, but have little time for it in this life. In my next life, I have plans to be a costume designer.
Best wishes for you, Nina and Adrian! LP