In UNMC Today's Student Spotlight, we get to know some of these students, who will become tomorrow's health care professionals. Today we meet Daniel Lomelin, a third-year MPH student in epidemiology, College of Public Health.
- Name: Daniel Lomelin
- Hometown: Glendora, Calif.
- Program/year: M.P.H. epidemiology, third year
List three songs on your playlist:
- "Black Hole Sun," Soundgarden
- "Jackson," Johnny Cash
- "Living in America," James Brown
What sparked your interest in public health?
Having studied anthropology as an undergraduate and desiring to participate in health care, public health seemed to be an area where my interests across disciplines could come together very well. Epidemiology especially caught my eye, since it brings together the biology of disease, risk factors of behavior and environment and ultimately the health outcomes of interest. The "big picture" of health appealed very strongly to me.
Your favorite study snack:
Cocoa roasted almonds
Your favorite app:
Amazon MP3, it lets me have all my music wherever I am.
Three things people may not know about you:
- I enjoy painting.
- I'm slowly restoring a vintage runabout boat.
- Even though I grew up elsewhere, I love Nebraska and have lived here for about a third of my life. The state has provided me with more opportunities than I could have hoped for, educationally or otherwise.