Cattlemen's Ball tops $1 million for fifth consecutive year

by Tom O'Connor, UNMC public relations | August 01, 2014

Image with caption: Ken Cowan, M.D., Ph.D. (at right), director of the Fred & Pamela Buffett Cancer Center, with University of Nebraska Interim President  James Linder, M.D., and his wife Karen.

Ken Cowan, M.D., Ph.D. (at right), director of the Fred & Pamela Buffett Cancer Center, with University of Nebraska Interim President James Linder, M.D., and his wife Karen.

For the fifth consecutive year, proceeds from the Cattlemen's Ball of Nebraska topped the $1 million mark, as this year's ball held at the Hoot Owl Ranch in Harrisburg, Neb. (Banner County) on June 6 and 7 raised $1.3 million.

Over the past 17 years, the Cattlemen's Ball has raised more than $11 million. This year's ball raised the fourth highest total ever. The mission for the event is to raise money for cancer research at the Fred & Pamela Buffett Cancer Center at the University of Nebraska Medical Center, while showcasing Nebraska and promoting beef as part of a healthy diet.

As in past years, 90 percent of the proceeds will go toward cancer research at the Fred & Pamela Buffett Cancer Center and the remaining 10 percent will go toward local health care organizations.

"Once again, this reinforces what a unique event the Cattlemen's Ball is," said Ken Cowan, M.D., Ph.D., director of the Fred & Pamela Buffett Cancer Center. "There is nothing like it. Each year, it goes to a different Nebraska community, and each year it is an incredible success."

A sellout crowd of 4,000 attended this year's ball, which featured silent and live auctions, a style show, golf tournament, art show and a concert featuring Montgomery Gentry.

Host families for this year's event were Kenny and Misty Stauffer along with the ranch owners Jeff and Kathy May. Co-chairs were Jeff Heldt and Monty Stoddard. The theme for this year's event was "Corral a Cure for Cancer."

Kenny Stauffer expressed his gratitude for all the people who helped with this year's ball and all those who attended.

"We could not have put on this amazing event without all of the help and support of our volunteers, donations and supporters," he said. "Together we are making a difference in cancer care and treatment. Thank you."

Pictures from the event can be seen here by clicking on Gallery.

The 2015 Cattlemen's Ball of Nebraska will be held on June 5-6 at the Tom Herzog and Kim Schweers' Ranch near Redbird, 4 ½ miles south of Lynch. The location is near the northern border of Nebraska and close to the Niobrara River.

Comments

Fill out the following and your comment will post once it has been approved.

Thank you, your comment will appear below once it has been approved.