Before you begin
Please contact the lab when planning a project to discuss sample handling, tissue fixation and embedding to avoid any delays.
Orders are on a first-come first-serve basis and turn around is dependent on the services requested and the current lab workload, so please discuss with core personnel before submitting samples. Large or complex orders may take longer than the standard time.
- Fixed specimens, unless otherwise noted, are assumed to be at their end fixing point.
- Tissue should be no more than 2-3mm thick in 20 times the fixative volume.
- Fresh Formalin works best.
- 70% Ethanol is the preferred drop off solution, but 10% NBF or other fixatives are accepted in containers properly labeled with all hazards and cautions.
- Any hazardous samples, biohazard, radiation, etc. must be pre-approved before drop off.
- Please contact core personnel for any special embedding or tissue orientation request.
- Please supply all samples in individual cassettes with proper labeling that matches paperwork.
- Use pencil or solvent resistant marking pen (Surgipath01880).
- Use of a simple coding system containing no more than 8 characters is recommended.
- Patient names are NEVER accepted.
- Labels that cannot be deciphered will be re-coded by the core (incurs charge) and a printed list will be
provided with the order.
- We use positively charged slides exclusively on all orders.
- Slides are etched using TBS slide labeler.
Sample Drop Off
Samples must be accompanied with a printed histology request form. Please download and complete the TSF Request Form and bring it with your samples to the facility.
User will be notified via email or phone when orders are ready for pickup.
Boxes for slides are available for purchase.
Orders may be picked up 9:00 am - 4:00 pm Monday - Friday in DRC1 1052.
For more information regarding TSF policies, please see core personnel.