Long Range Goals
Visit Dr. Monaghan's Lab
DANIEL MONAGHAN, PhD
University of Nebraska Medical Center
Durham Research Center 3052
985800 Nebraska Medical Center
Omaha, NE 68198-5800
In his own words - Dr. Monaghan talks about his research and training our next generation of scientists.
Long Range Goals:
- Development of subtype-selective glutamate receptor antagonists to determine the roles of individual receptors in brain function and brain disorders
- Determine the intracellular signaling pathways by which NMDA receptors regulate neuronal cell function
- Costa BM, Irvine MW, Feng G, Eaves RJ, Mayo-Martin MB, Skifter DA, Jane DE, Monaghan DT. A novel family of negative and positive allosteric modulators of NMDA receptors. J. Pharmacol Exp Ther 2010
- Talbot JN, Skifter DA, Bianchi E, Monaghan DT, Toews ML, Murrin LC. Regulation of mu opioid receptor internalization by the scaffold protein RanBPM Neurosci Letter 2009 466F(3):154-8
- Costa BM, Feng B, Tsintsadze TS, Morley RM, Irvine MW, Tsintsadze V, Lozovaya NA, Jane DE, Monaghan DT. N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) receptor NR2 subunit selectivity of a series of novel piperazine-2,3-dicarboxylate derivatives: preferential blockade of extrasynaptic NMDA receptors in the rat hippocampal CA3-CA1 synapse. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2009, 331(2):618-26.
- Whitney NP, Peng H, Erdmann NB, Tian C, Monaghan DT, Zheng JC. Calcium-permeable AMPA receptors containing Q/R-unedited GluR2 direct human neural progenitor cell differentiation to neurons. FASEB J. 2008 Aug;22(8):2888-900.
- Brothwell, S.L., Barber J.L., Monaghan, D.T., Jane, D.E., Gibb, A.J., and Jones, S. NR2B- and NR2D-containing synaptic NMDA receptors in developing rat substantia nigra pars compacta dopaminergic neurones. J. Physiology (2008) 586 739-750
- Whitney, N.P., Peng, H., Erdmann, N.B., Monaghan, D.T., and Zheng, J.C. Activation of AMPA receptors with Q/R-unedited GluR2 induces the differentiation of human neural progenitor cells to neurons. FASEB (2008).22: 2888-2900
- Maurice, T., Meunier, J., Feng, B., Ieni, J., Monaghan, D.T. Interaction with s1 Protein, but not NMDA Receptor, is Involved in the Pharmacological Activity of Donepezil J. Pharmacol. Experimental Therapeutics (2006) 317 606-614.
- Bean, L., Zheng, H., Patel, K.P., and Monaghan, D.T. Regional variations in NMDA receptor downregulation in streptozotocin-diabetic rat brain. Brain Research (2006) 1115 217-222
- Lozovaya, N.A., Grebenyuk, S.E., Tsintsadze, T.S., Feng, B., Monaghan, D.T., and Krishtal, O.A. Extrasynaptic NR2B and NR2D subunits of NMDA receptors shape ‘superslow’ afterburst EPSC in rat hippocampus. J. Physiology (2004) 558 (2) 451-463
- Feng, B. Heong W. Tse, Donald A. Skifter, Richard Morley, David E. Jane, and Daniel T. MonaghanStructure-activity analysis of a novel NR2C/NR2D-preferring NMDA receptor antagonist: 1-(phenanthrene-2-carbonyl)piperazine-2,3-dicarboxylic acid. British Journal of Pharmacology (2004) 141:508-516
- Hrabetova, S., P. Serrano, P., Blace, N., Tse, H.W., Skifter, D.A., Jane, D.E., Monaghan, D.T., Sacktor, T.C. Separate NMDA receptors producing LTP and LTD. J. Neuroscience (2000) 20:RC81, 1-6
- Monaghan, D.T., Bridges, R.J., and Cotman, C.W.: The excitatory amino acid receptors: Their classes, pharmacology, and distinct properties in the function of the central nervous system. Annual Reviews of Pharmacology and Toxicology (1989) 29, 365-402
- Costa BM, Irvine MW, Feng G, Eaves RJ, Mayo-Martin MB, Skifter DA, Jane DE, . A novel family of negative and positive allosteric modulators of NMDA receptors. J. Pharmacol Exp Ther 2010
Additional Publications on PubMed
top of page
Visit Dr. Monaghan's laboratory
Dr. Monaghan's biographical information