One of the objectives of the office of postdoctoral education is to facilitate postdocs’ timely transition to an independent career. Such transition on the part of a scholar requires early preparation, defining career objectives, supported by an understanding of the chosen area, productivity in terms of manuscripts, and independence demonstrated by fellowship(s) besides that of his/his thoughts. This award recognizes and encourages each individual with a certificate of excellence in Postdoctoral Scholarship and a $1,000 check. The mentor is recognized with a certificate of excellence in Postdoctoral mentoring. The award is presented during the Annual UNMC Postdoctoral Seminar.
UNMC postdoc scholars during their first three years of training, beginning with the time of appointment.
- One page narrative on your career goal (in academia, industries, government, public policy, or alternate careers such law), planning, strategy, and a timeline. Please substantiate with a rationale for your chosen goal as it relates to your preparation and accomplishments. Applications that do not adhere to formatting specifications of 1-inch margins, 12-point font size, and single-spacing will not be reviewed.
- One page narrative on your best first-author publication, describing the background, the gap of knowledge it strives to fill, and how it advances the field. The narrative must not be a rehash of the introduction and discussion of the paper but should be written to communicate science to lay readers. Applications that do not adhere to formatting specifications of 1-inch margins, 12-point font size, and single-spacing will not be reviewed.
- CV using current NIH Bio Sketch format.(revised 2015)
- First-author publications.
- Fellowships and grants.
- Any additional/exceptional activities outside of those offered by the Office of Postdoctoral Education that helps your career goal.
A letter of recommendation, preferably from the current mentor, critiquing the candidates career objective, preparation, and scientific contributions/accomplishments. Not to exceed 2 pages.