The Compact between postdoctoral scholars and faculty mentors is a document developed at UNMC to initiate discussion about the Postdoctoral Scholar-Mentor relationships and obligations for a high quality postdoctoral training experience.
OBLIGATIONS OF A POSTDOCTORAL SCHOLAR
- Develops a mutually defined research project (s) with the mentor that includes well-defined goals and timeliness.
- Participates actively and conscientiously in a research project(s) outlined in discussion with the faculty mentor.
- Seeks regular feedback on his/hers performance and participates in a formal evaluation by the mentor at least annually (Annual Review Form)
- Develop an individual development plan (IDP) with the mentor.
- Exhibits good laboratory practice such as careful maintenance of research record and compliance with guidelines for biosafety and those involving animals and human subjects in research.
- Complies with UNMC policies and guidelines on scientific conduct, intellectual property and laboratory safety.
- Maintains collegial conduct towards mentor and co-workers.
- Attends Orientation and mandatory Responsible Conduct in Research (RCR) workshop in the freshman year. Attends career development workshops/seminars (i.e., grant-writing workshops, placement workshops and workshops to improve scientific writing and presentation).
OBLIGATIONS OF A FACULTY MENTOR
- Ensures that a mutually agreed upon set of expectations and goals are in place at the outset of the postdoctoral training.
- Provides adequate facilities, resources and guidance to achieve the agreed upon goals of the project.
- Ensures timely submission of the scholar’s research for publication/presentation and that he/she gets appropriate credit
- Provides adequate guidance and mentoring in manuscript preparation and presentation of scientific information.
- Reviews scholar’s performance annually, in terms of research endeavor and career development. A copy of the evaluation, countersigned by the scholar, should be made available to the scholar and postdoctoral education office.
- Ensures that a scholar attends Orientation and mandatory Responsible Conduct in Research (RCR) workshop in the freshman year.
- Encourages scholars to attend career development workshops/seminars (i.e., grant-writing workshops, placement workshops and workshops to improve scientific writing and presentation).
Mentoring at UNMC
Postdoctoral Training Checklist
Salary & Benefits
Training & Certification
- Information for New Postdocs
- International Scholars
- Postdoc Categories
- Mentoring at UNMC