Are you ready for your Service Learning/Capstone Experience?
A Simplified, MPH’s Student’s Guide to Service Learning/Capstone Experience through the Service Learning Academy
What you stand to gain from your Service Learning/Capstone Experience:
The Service Learning/Capstone Experience component of your MPH program will:
- Give you an opportunity to integrate theory with practice.
- Give you an opportunity to provide community service.
- Provide experience with organizational management styles.
- Help you develop/enhance interpersonal skills.
- Provide access to data/projects for theses, dissertations and/or publications.
- Provide exposure to contacts for future employment.
- Provide work experience/define career objectives.
- In some cases, provide a stipend/wage for service provided.
Your service learning/capstone experience will benefit the placement site by providing:
- An opportunity to formalize a partnership with the University; links site to University-based research and data expertise/resources.
- Assistance in identifying/recruiting future public health personnel.
- Additional human resources to accomplish work in core public health functions and essential services.
Your service learning/capstone experience will benefit the University and faculty by providing:
- An opportunity for research.
- A source of current information about public health practice.
- An opportunity to assess currency/sufficiency of curriculum.
- An opportunity to provide community service.
University of Nebraska Medical Center
986075 Nebraska Medical Center
Omaha, NE 68198-6075
Ruth Margalit MD - Director